San Francisco is arguably the most dog-friendly city in the country. Here, dogs outnumber kids by a noticeable margin—enough that locals have no trouble finding dog-friendly hotels, restaurants, and more.
This also means that San Francisco has tons of great events for pets and pet owners. Unlike in other cities, you won’t need to leave your dog at home when you go out to enjoy the local culture.
Mark your calendars and bring your pup out for a great day of activities and fun. We’ve got a couple of famous events to get you started.
24 Willie Mays Plaza
San Francisco, CA 94107
- Take your furry friend out to the ballgame and go wild over baseballs!
- Strut your stuff with your dog at the pre-game costume contest.
- Advance registration is required and space is limited. $90 gets you a bleacher seat and admission for your dog.
- A portion of the benefits go to the San Francisco SPCA. Have a fun day supporting a great cause!
- All dogs must be at least 6 months old, and attendance is limited to one dog per adult.
- This annual fundraiser supports the non-profit organization PAWS.
- The event is held in May at the swanky Fairmont Hotel.
- Take part in the reception, which includes hors d’ouevres for both dogs and humans.
- Bid during the silent auction, and enjoy live entertainment.
- “Top Dog” attire is suggested.
- This event acts as a fundraiser for the Best Friends Animal Society to save homeless pets around the country. Their nationwide fundraising goal is $3 million.
- There are prizes for top fundraising teams. Work your hardest!
- Are you and your pet into outdoor activities? Participate in a 5k walk or run with your pooch.
- Enjoy vendor booths, food, and great music.
- This famous event is part of the Sonoma-Marin Fair.
- Applaud your dog’s imperfections at this world-renowned event. Here, beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder!
- Enjoy appearances by radio and TV personalities.
- Spend the day at this pet festival, carnival, and parade in Duboce Park.
- Competitive? Try your luck at a number of contests, including best trick, best costume, best ears, best bark, and more!
- DogFest is free to attend, but there is a $20 registration fee for competitors.
- Proceeds benefit San Francisco Unified School District.
Santa Clara County Fairgrounds
- Enjoy tons of exhibitors and giveaways.
- Watch stunning obedience and agility demonstrations
- Watch live entertainment with your pet and your friends.
- Free nail trims and discounted vaccinations!
- Check out the latest and greatest pet products.
- Connect with dozens of rescue groups and adoptable dogs.
The Bottom Line
If you want to go to a dog event done right, you’ve got to go to San Francisco. These dog lovers go all out for costume contests and fundraisers to help our furry friends, so you’re guaranteed to have a blast. Whether you spend a few hours or a full day out, you and your pet won’t regret going to one of these events.