College: a magical time where deadlines are tight and budgets are tighter. Whether you’re living off of insta-coffee or insta-noodles, we get it—and we’d like to help fund your brain fuel for the coming school year. Just write a 400-500 word essay for your chance to win $1,000!
Rover.com connects pet parents with the nation’s largest network of loving and trustworthy pet sitters and dog walkers. Discover, book, and manage personalized care for your dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, in-home dog boarding, and doggy day care. Founded on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
How to Enter:
- Answer our scholarship question in 400-500 words (response must be written in English).
- Put your answer in a Google doc, with your name and year in college at the top (high school seniors allowed).
- Fill out our form.
- Submit by May 31, 2017.
In 400-500 words, answer the following question:
How has the domestication of dogs improved society and benefited human happiness?
We’re looking for essays that incorporate both personal examples of how dogs have affected your life, and cite historical or scientific research on the impact of domesticated dogs.
Here are some questions to get you going:
- What is your relationship with pets?
- How is your relationship with pets different from your parents' and grandparents' relationship with pets?
- Do you think of dogs as part of the family? How have human relationships with dogs evolved? How do you see them changing in the future?
- How has the domestication of dogs affected life at work? Life at home? Human relationships?
To Be Eligible:
- You need to be a resident of the United States.
- You must be a graduating high school senior or currently a freshman, sophomore, or junior in college. We reserve the right to verify date of high school graduation and/or college enrollment.
- If you're a graduating high school senior, your GPA must be 3.0 or above.
- If you're in college, your GPA must be 2.5 or above.
- You can’t be related to anyone on the Rover staff, but you can be related to someone who's a pet sitter or dog walker on Rover.
Entry is subject to the official rules and conditions, which you can access here. As further set forth in the official rules, your entry grants us full permission to republish and otherwise freely use your entry materials and your name and likeness in order to prompt Rover or other third parties.
How to Win:
Your essay will be judged based on:
- 50% = Thoughtfulness of response
- 30% = Relevance to prompt
- 15% = Quality of composition
- 5% = Grammatical accuracy
We'll choose and notify the winner by June 30, 2017, and we’ll mail him or her a $1,000 check.