Higher education: that magical time when deadlines are tight and budgets are tighter. Whether you’re living off of insta-coffee or insta-noodles, we get it—and we’d like to help fund your brain fuel for the coming school year. Just write a 400-500 word essay for your chance to win $500!
This contest is open to active Rover sitters only. Sign up to become a sitter here—and read about how pet sitting on Rover has changed one college student's life.
Rover.com connects pet parents with the nation’s largest network of loving and trustworthy pet sitters and dog walkers. Discover, book, and manage personalized care for your dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, in-home dog boarding, and doggy day care. Founded on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
How to Enter:
- Answer our scholarship question in 400 - 500 words (response must be written in English).
- Put your answer in a Google doc, with your name and year in college at the top (high school seniors allowed).
- Fill out our form.
- Submit by August 31st, 2017.
In 400 - 500 words, answer the following question:
More Americans are choosing to build their families around their dogs, rather than having children. What is fueling this decision?
We’re looking for essays that incorporate unique ideas and analysis of differing city economies, as well as personal stories.
Here are some questions to get you going:
- Try comparing cities with more dogs than kids to cities with more kids than dogs.
- What are the economic and social reasons for having dogs instead of kids?
- Do you think of dogs as part of the family? How have human relationships with dogs evolved?
- How do dogs affect life at work? Life at home? Human relationships?
To Be Eligible:
- You need to be a resident of the United States.
- You must be a graduating high school senior or currently a freshman, sophomore, or junior in college in pursuit of a associates degree, bachelor’s degree, or master’s degree. We reserve the right to verify date of high school graduation and/or university enrollment.
- If you're a graduating high school senior, your GPA must be 3.0 or above.
- If you're in college, your GPA must be 2.5 or above. If you’re in graduate school, you must either have a 2.5 GPA or above or a “Pass” in a Pass/Fail grading system.
- You must be a sitter on Rover.com, and have booked a stay in the last 12 months. Sign up to become a sitter here.
- You can’t be related to anyone on the Rover staff, but you can be related to someone who's a pet sitter or dog walker on Rover.
Entry is subject to the official rules and conditions, which you can access here. As further set forth in the official rules, your entry grants us full permission to republish and otherwise freely use your entry materials and your name and likeness in order to promote Rover or other third parties.
How to Win:
Your essay will be judged based on:
- 50% = Thoughtfulness of response
- 30% = Relevance to prompt
- 15% = Quality of composition
- 5% = Grammatical accuracy
There will be two winners, each granted $500.
We'll choose and notify the winners by September 18, 2017, and we’ll mail the winners a $500 check each.