These hearty mini-omelettes for dogs are a power-packed combination of protein and healthy greens. They smell so good you’ll be tempted to try one (and it’s okay; they’re really tasty for people too).
Power puffs make an excellent meal topper for your dog. You can also stuff a couple into a KONG or other puzzle toy, or use as a special treat or training reward.
How to Make Egg Power Puffs for Dogs
The equipment you need is simple.
- Mini muffin mold
- Baking sheet
- Optional: food processor
Makes about a dozen mini puffs
- 6 cups (packed well) of spinach or other dark leafy greens
- 1/2 c bread crumbs (gluten-free works great)
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- Optional but amazing: 3 strips of cooked bacon, diced
Preheat oven to 400º. Grease a silicone mini muffin mold and place on a baking sheet.
- Roughly chop the greens in batches in the food processor.
- Sauté the chopped greens with a little olive oil about 10 minutes. They will shrink dramatically. Do not be alarmed.
- Transfer the greens to a mixing bowl, and stir in the cottage cheese and bacon until combined.
- Stir in the eggs last.
Drop by generous spoonfuls into the greased mini muffin molds. Bake 25 minutes or until the puff feels springy to the touch and no liquid remains.
Keep your puffs refrigerated after they cool.
The Taste Tester Approves
A word of caution: too much kale or spinach may be a problem for some dogs, especially those with kidney issues or sensitive tummies. For these dogs, a limited-ingredient treat like our Salmon Swirls would be a better option.