Maybe not. Dogs become quickly dehydrated if they eat a lot of salt or foods that are high in sodium. If your dog licks a little salt off the table, he’ll be fine. If your dog consumes a lot of salt in a short period of time and there’s no water available, your dog is at risk for salt poisoning. Salt poisoning causes neurological issues and can be deadly if your dog eats an extreme amount of salt.
Symptoms to Watch For
What to look for if your dog has eaten a large amount of salt:
- Seizures or tremors
For More Information
We’ve got tons of articles about which foods are safe or dangerous for your dog, from common snacks to fruits. You might also be interested in “Can My Dog Eat Sugar?“
The information provided in this article is not a substitute for professional veterinary help.