- This review contains affiliate links. Read more here.
There are a lot of scenarios where a waterproof dog bed comes in handy. Whether your dog has been out in the elements (swimming or out in the rain), is prone to accidents, or just wants a cozy spot to curl up outside, you’ll need a dog bed that can stand up to damp conditions. But because there are a lot of options, and dog beds can be pricey, it’s tough to know which one to get. We’ve compiled this list to help you find the best waterproof dog bed for your pup and your needs.
- Best Overall (Indoors): Dogbed4less Waterproof Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
- Best Overall (Outdoors): Snoozer Waterproof Dog Bed
- Best for Porch Pups: Majestic Pet Striped Rectangle Pet Bed
- Best for Comfort: MIHIKK Waterproof Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Best for Camping: Kurgo Waterproof Dog Bed
- Best for Puppies: K9 Ballistics Round Dog Bed
- Best for Senior Dogs: The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Headrest Dog Bed
- Best for Accidents: Majestic Pet Villa Bagel Dog Bed
- Best for Big Dogs: PetFusion BetterLounge Dog Bed
- Best for Small Dogs: Lesure Memory Foam Dog Bed
- How To Choose a Waterproof Dog Bed
Best Overall (Indoors): Dogbed4less Waterproof Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed (Verified Review)
This Dogbed4less memory foam bed comes with not one but two external covers, which is a major plus. You can use the second cover as a backup while one cover is in the wash. It also sports a waterproof liner over its four inches of gel-infused memory foam bedding to ensure that the bed lasts for many years to come.
We wouldn’t use this bed outdoors (the covers aren’t crafted to withstand the elements), but we love it inside. It checks the boxes for a wide range of uses and needs:
- Thick memory foam at the core offers great support to older and larger dogs
- Both included covers are machine-washable for easy clean-up with accident-prone pups
- Available in a variety of sizes and a couple of color options to fit your exact needs and preferences
Verified Review: Our reviewer, a Rover sitter, found that both her own dogs and the Rover dogs she hosted were, as she says, “obsessed” with this bed, especially with the microsuede cover. (She observed that the denim cover was not as popular, possibly because the material was too stiff; but because it’s machine washable, after a few runs in the wash, it could soften up.)
One of her dogs, who usually preferred the floor to his existing dog bed, even took to using it. “He seems really comfortable and relaxed,” she said, noting that the bed was “very high quality, felt great, and appears to be supporting his joints extremely well.”
Best Overall (Outdoors): Snoozer Waterproof Dog Bed
With a durable PVC-backed polyester cover, this bed is fully waterproof and machine washable too. The unique cedar-poly fill promises to keep your dog comfortable, but it has an added benefit perfect for outdoor use: cedar is naturally odor-absorbing and repellant to many insects.
Here are some of the other features we like about this bed and why we chose it as best overall for outdoor use:
- Available in both round and rectangle shapes and several colors
- Two sizes: small (43″ x 27″ x 4″) and large (52″ x 35″ x 4″)
- One year warranty from the manufacturer
Best for Porch Pups: Majestic Pet Striped Rectangle Pet Bed
Not only is this Majestic Pet rectangle bed fully machine washable, but it has a waterproof base and a durable polyester cover treated to withstand the elements, making it a solid choice for a dog who’s prone to accidents or simply as a great porch bed. Also, you can’t overlook the fashionable cabana-stripe design, available in several different colors.
While there may not be quite enough cushioning in this bed for a larger or older dog, here are some of the reasons we chose it as our top pick for dogs who enjoy their time on the porch:
- Five sizes ranging from small (27″ x 20″) to extra large (50″ x 42″)
- Thick poly-fill cushioning, 4 inches for the small and medium and 5 inches for the larger sizes
- Stain-resistant, UV-protected cover to prevent dirt and fading
Best for Comfort: MIHIKK Waterproof Orthopedic Dog Bed
MIHIKK Waterproof Orthopedic Dog Bed
The shaggy plush cover of this dog bed is perfect for dogs who like to snuggle. Plus, the bed’s inner waterproof lining helps to keep its orthopedic cushioning dry.
The word “waterproof” doesn’t usually inspire visions of comfort, but your pet will love snuggling on this shaggy dog bed, and you will love how easy it is to clean. The soft, plush cover is machine-washable and backed by a separate waterproof lining.
Inside the bed are three to four inches (depending on bed size) of high-density orthopedic foam with an egg crate top. The bottom features anti-slip and anti-scratch fabric, holding the bed in place and protecting your floors as your dog gets on and off. The only thing this bed is missing is an extra cover, and even the smallest messes will likely require a full wash with the shaggy topper. Here are some additional details to consider:
- Comes in a variety of crate-friendly sizes ranging from small (24″ x 26″) to extra extra large (54″ x 44″)
- Three color options (limited in some sizes): gray, dark gray, and brown
- Filled with high-density foam for ultimate comfort
Best for Camping: Kurgo Waterproof Dog Bed
This bed is portable and comfortable—a critical combination for adventurous pups. The top is made from waterproof ripstop nylon to protect from both weather and your dog’s nails (or sticks). The bottom features a non-slip finish to keep the bed in place no matter where you lay it. Plus, it all rolls up like a sleeping bag, secured by built-in straps with a convenient carry handle. It’s machine-washable too.
At less than two inches (or three for the large size), this is the thinnest bed on our list by far, and it may not be enough for all dogs. That’s the trade-off for portability, but those handy features still make it a great option for camping and even just traveling in general:
- Available in two sizes: medium (25″ x 36″) and large (36″ x 48″)
- A zipper pouch in one corner hides small items
- Crafted specifically for outdoor use with durable materials
- Backed by Kurgo’s lifetime warranty
Best for Puppies: K9 Ballistics Round Dog Bed
K9 Ballistics Round Dog Bed
This chew-resistant, waterproof round bed is nearly indestructible and easy to clean, making it a great option for puppies and young dogs.
For puppies (and adult diggers), this round dog bed claims to be nearly indestructible. The waterproof, machine-washable cover is made of durable ripstop to be chew-resistant and hold up to your dog’s sharp nails. For small messes, you can even just wipe it down to clean it.
We wouldn’t normally recommend a bed of this price level for puppies (given their propensity for destroying things), and the ripstop cover isn’t the coziest option on this list, but its durability means that you may only need to buy one bed rather than two (or three, or four). Plus, while our Rover testers haven’t tried this specific bed, we’ve been impressed with some of the other options from K9 Ballistics, like the Rectangle Dog Bed.
Here are some of the features of this bed that we really like for young dogs:
- Three size options: small (24″ in diameter), medium (36″), and large (42″)
- Filled with certified non-toxic shredded foam
- Four color options (limited in some sizes): black, blue, green, and tan
- 120-day guarantee: If your pup breaks into the bed in the first 120 days, they’ll provide store credit to purchase a replacement
Best for Senior Dogs: The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Headrest Dog Bed
The Dog's Bed Orthopedic Headrest Dog Bed
With up to six inches of supportive cushioning and a waterproof encasement, this bed is a great option for dogs who can benefit from more support. It’s velour cover is also machine-washable.
If your dog needs orthopedic support, this dog bed has it in spades. You can select from two thicknesses (4 inches and 6 inches, not including the headrest), both of which include orthopedic memory foam and an additional support foam. Underneath its cozy, machine-washable cover, the entire mattress is wrapped in a waterproof encasement.
For senior dogs, the mostly-flat surface offers easier access than beds with bolsters. The headrest on one side is intended to support their head (and thus their spine) as they relax. Some reviewers have noted that the waterproof lining is a little noisy, and you only get one outer cover with the bed. Here are some other details to note:
- Available in a variety of sizes from medium to extra extra extra large, making this the largest bed on our list
- You can choose your thickness of 4 inches or 6 inches for most sizes (medium is 3 inches)
- Cover options include linen, plush, and faux fur
Best for Accidents: Majestic Pet Villa Bagel Dog Bed
If your dog likes to curl up in a ball or rest their head on a bolster while they sleeps, this bagel-shaped Majestic Pet dog bed might be a great choice. The squishy bed is stuffed with polyester filling on all sides and is fully machine washable. It also has a waterproof base to catch any accidents and keep them from leaking onto the floor.
Older dogs may struggle to step over the tall sides (and might also prefer the support of an orthopedic bed). The Bagel Bed is also not completely waterproof—only the bottom is sealed. However, there are several features that we love about this bed:
- Comes in four sizes: 24 inches, 32 inches, 40 inches, and 52 inches
- Several color options to choose from, including some you don’t often see in dog beds: orange, teal (“marine”), green (“apple”), and aubergine
- The cover is not removable, but the whole bed is machine-washable
- Filled with high-loft poly-fill
Best for Big Dogs: PetFusion BetterLounge Dog Bed
PetFusion BetterLounge Dog Bed
This dog bed sports a soft, machine-washable cover, a waterproof lining, and three inches of memory foam bedding. Plus, the semi-bolster design gives dogs a place to rest their head while allowing the rest of their body to stretch out.
Your pet may never want to lay on the couch again. This bolstered bed has a soft, machine-washable polyester microsuede exterior, plus a memory foam core encased in a waterproof liner. With the cushioned corner design, your dog can rest their head while still having free space in the rest of the bed to stretch out.
Coming in large and extra-large sizes, this bed is perfect for bigger dogs. The outer cover is water-resistant in addition to the waterproof lining for extra protection. It’s also tear-resistant. The foam inside this bed is three inches thick, while most on this list are at least four, but here are some of the other features we found:
- Comes in two sizes: large (36″ x 28″) and extra large (44″ x 34″)
- Additional covers can be purchased for the extra large size
- One color option: gray
- Two-zipper design makes removing and replacing the bed and bolster foam easier
Best for Small Dogs: Lesure Memory Foam Dog Bed
Lesure Memory Foam Dog Bed
With a waterproof lining and a faux-velvet washable cover, this is a great bed all-around, but we especially love the generous memory foam interior for smaller dogs.
While this bolstered bed is technically available for dogs of all sizes, we especially love it for our small-to-medium dogs. Many dog beds slim down the foam for smaller pups, but this one maintains a standard 6-inch height (including the bolsters). Inside you’ll find orthopedic memory foam. A waterproof lining and a machine-washable faux-velvet cover on the outside make for easy cleaning.
More senior petite pups might struggle to step over the bolsters, so one of the flatter options on this list will be better suited in those cases. But here are some of the reasons we chose it for best waterproof bed for dogs under 35-pounds:
- Comes in four sizes: small (24″ x 16″), medium (29″ x 18″), large (35″ x 22″), and extra large (41″ x 29″)
- Non-skid bottom to stay in place
- Filled with high-density charcoal and bamboo support foam and a cooling memory foam on top
How To Choose a Waterproof Dog Bed
There are a few different kinds of waterproof dog bed, and the type of bed you choose should largely depend on how you expect to use it. Think about why you’re considering a waterproof dog bed. Are accidents your main concern? A cozy spot on the patio or porch? Or are you an avid camper, and you want to ensure your adventure buddy has a comfortable place to lay down at night?
If you want something that can survive accidents, you’ll want a waterproof lining, which prevents liquids such as rain or urine from soaking into the bed’s filling. For these beds, the outer cover (which may soak up fluids) is usually removable to allow for easy cleaning. These beds are great for puppies and older dogs whose bed is always indoors, and they’re usually maximum comfortable.
Alternatively, some waterproof beds feature weather-resistant covers, allowing water to roll off instead of soaking in. This makes them ideal for outdoor lounging, camping, or even occasionally getting dragged through sprinklers. All-weather beds can often be cleaned with a wipe or a spray of the hose.
We should also note that water-resistant and waterproof are not the same. Water-resistant dog beds may weather a splash or two without any problem, but you probably wouldn’t want to leave them out in the rain. Waterproof dog beds keep the insides dry in any situation.
With any dog bed, size is an important factor, and depends on the size of your dog, how they sleep, and how much room you have to spare. It’s good to observe your dog bed while they sleep to learn how they use the space, but you should also measure them. Have your pup stand on all fours and measure the distance from their nose to the base of their tail. The rule of thumb is to add 6-12 inches to that measurement to find the minimum width of your dog’s bed.
Style of bed is another important factor in choosing the best waterproof bed for dogs. A donut-shaped bed is perfect for dogs that love being tucked in, while a sprawler or an older dog struggling to step over high sides might prefer a large flat space. Look at the bed your dog is currently using (or maybe what they’re not using) for clues.
A few other factors to consider are weight, age, and health, particularly when it comes to the bed’s filling. A Mastiff will require thicker filling than a Pomeranian, simply because their body weight will cause it to compress more. Older dogs and those with health issues may benefit from orthopedic or memory foam to support their joints.
How We Chose
We selected the waterproof beds on this list based on a thoughtful combination of hands-on testing, customer reviews (both good and bad), and conversations with the experts, including Rover’s Dog People Panel. We prioritized waterproofing features, availability, usage, and, of course, comfort. When all else is equal, the question “Would my dog like this?” served as a useful rubric.