This dog-friendly gingerbread treat recipe has all the wonderful aroma of real gingerbread, thanks to our dog-safe blend of spices and a hint of rich molasses. We skipped the nutmeg, which is frequently used in traditional gingerbread, as it’s harmful to dogs.
Gingerbread Cookies for Dogs
Yield 1 Tray
We used a blend of healthy whole wheat and oat flour our recipe, but you can use any type of flour that works for your dog’s needs, or whatever you have on hand.
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cup oat flour (made from rolled oats)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground clove
- Pinch of allspice
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- OPTIONAL: carob chips for gingerbread eyes and buttons
Preheat oven to 350º
- Combine the flours, baking powder, and spices in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the molasses and applesauce and mix to combine.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and coconut oil and mix to combine, adding more flour if necessary.
Roll out gingerbread and cut into gingerbread men or your choice of shapes.
Bake at 350º for 20 minutes or until just starting to get golden around the edges for a soft cookie, or until crunchy for longer shelf life.
Courses Holiday Treats
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @roverdotcom on Instagram and hashtag it #cookingwithrover.
Tasting Notes: Gingerbread Dog Treats
Bea made short work of this tasty fellow.