No! Sugar-free candy and gum can be very dangerous to dogs if it contains the sugar substitute xylitol. When ingested by dogs, xylitol can cause a surge of insulin and cause a dog’s liver to shut down. Even three grams of xylitol can be deadly for a 65-pound dog, so be sure to call your vet if you suspect that your dog has eaten any candy containing xylitol.
Instead of candy, give your pet dog-friendly treats. You can find crunchy nibbles in a range of flavors at your favorite pet store, including low-calorie options. Many dogs also enjoy bites of plain carrots or apples for a healthy, slightly sweet snack.
Symptoms to Look for if Your Dog Has Eaten Sugar-Free Candy
- Weakness or lethargy
- A racing heart rate
For More Information
We’ve got tons of articles about which foods are safe or dangerous for your dog, from common snacks to fruits. You might also be interested in “Why is chocolate bad for dogs?”
The information provided in this article is not a substitute for professional veterinary help.