- Not a substitute for professional veterinary help.
Novelist J.K. Rowling has an amazing gift for names, for her characters, the spells they cast, and the places they live. Where better to look for inspiration when naming your new feline friend than the magical and imaginative world of Harry Potter?
The Official Best Cat Names Inspired by Harry Potter…
…as voted on by two experts on J.K. Rowling’s entire body of work: Seattle muggles Bee (11-years-old, Hufflepuff) and Elle (9-years-old, Slytherin). Do you agree with their takes? Visit the complete list of characters in the Harry Potter series to rank them yourself!
- Lavender Brown: a member of Dumbledore’s Army, briefly Ron Weasley’s first girlfriend
- Cedric Diggory: Quidditch Seeker and captain, co-winner of the Triwizard Tournament
- Nymphadora Tonks: Auror and member of the Order of the Phoenix, mother of Teddy Lupin
- Fleur Delacour: Beauxbatons’ champion in the Triwizard Tournament, Ginny Weasley nicknamed her ‘Phlegm’
- Hedwig: Harry Potter’s pet owl
- Neville Longbottom: A member of Dumbledore’s Army, played by Mathew Lewis, the actor who had the best Glow Up in the Harry Potter film series.
- Luna Lovegood: A member of Dumbledore’s Army, famous for her grey eyes and a “permanently surprised look”
- Sybill Trelawney: Hogwarts Divination professor, predicted the prophecy that prompted Lord Voldemort to go after the Potters.
Female Cat Names Inspired by Harry Potter
When it comes to a cat, I prefer a little mischief and a lot of personality, which leads me directly to a house-elf for my name choice: Winky.
Male Cat Names Inspired by Harry Potter
Going with the house-elf theme, I’d choose Dobby.
- Sirius Black
Gender Neutral Cat Names Inspired by Harry Potter
Among my cat Lily’s many nicknames is Grawp. Giant, menacing, and adorable.
Cat Characters in Harry Potter
In the world of Harry Potter, there are cats and there are kneazles. And sometimes there’s a cat-kneazle cross with its own kind of magic. The kneazle has a very special pedigree. From “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”: “…originally bred in Britain, though it is now exported worldwide. A small cat-like creature with flecked, speckled or spotted fur, outsize ears and a tail like a lion’s, the Kneazle is intelligent, independent and occasionally aggressive, though if it takes a liking to a witch or wizard, it makes an excellent pet.”
- Mrs. Norris
- Crookshanks (half-cat half-kneazle)
- Mr. Tibbles (half-cat half-kneazle)
- Mr. Paws (half-cat half-kneazle)
- Tufty (half-cat half-kneazle)
- Snowy (half-cat half-kneazle)
Cat Names Inspired by Spells
If your cat had a wand (made out of a Fir Tree, naturally), which of these spells from “Harry Potter” and “Fantastic Beasts” would she cast? My cat Lily, the diva who loves to make a grand entrance, would yowl “Finestra!”, shattering glass and removing all impediments to her movement about her kingdom.
- Alohomora: used to unlock and open doors
- Caterwauling: causes a loud, high-pitched shrieking noise when encountered
- Colloportus: used to magically lock a door and prevent it from being opened by non-magical means
- Confringo: Blasting Charm; causes items the charm comes in contact with to burst into flames
- Evanesco: used to vanish objects
- Finestra: shatters glass; first appears in Fantastic Beasts
- Imperio: removes the victim’s free will and ability to make decisions for him- or herself; one of three Unforgivable Curses banned by the Ministry of Magic
- Impervius: causes objects to repel outside forces, such as water
- Lumos: projects a beam of light from the user’s wand
- Morsmordre: conjures the Dark Mark
- Muffliato: used to prevent conversations from being overheard by filling the ears of those nearby with an unidentifiable buzzing noise
- Nebulus: Creates a swirling fog. Used by Dumbledore to stay undercover, descends over London.
- Protego: Shield Charm; rebounds minor to moderate hexes, jinxes, and spells upon their caster
- Rennervate: revives someone who has been Stunned
- Revelio: a revealing spell; first used in the Fantastic Beasts film to reveal Graves is Grindelwald
- Rictusempra: Tickling Charm; causes an extreme tickling sensation that disables the victim
- Sectumsempra: spell that causes deep gashes on the victim’s body
- Sonorus: magically magnifies one’s voice
- Tergeo: used to remove matter (blood, dirt, etc.) from an object
Cat Names Inspired by Actors in Harry Potter Films
It simply cannot be argued by wizard, muggle, or half-blood that Rupert is not an excellent name for a cat. It is thus decreed that actors who have portrayed these fine and beloved characters shall likewise be considered suitable inspiration for the names of cats worldwide.
- Rupert (Ron Weasley)
- Grint (Ron Weasley)
- Radcliffe (Harry Potter)
- Emma (Hermione Granger)
- Watson (Hermione Granger)
- Felton (Draco Malfoy)
- Lewis (Neville Longbottom)
- Bonnie (Ginny Weasley)
- Evanna (Luna Lovegood)
- Alfred (Dean Thomas)
- Pattinson (Cedric Diggory)
- Phelps (Fred Weasley)
- Rankin (Percy Weasley)
- Devon (Seamus Finnigan)
- Leung (Cho Chang)
- Clémence (Fleur Delacour)
- Poésy (Fleur Delacour)
- Waylett (Vincent Crabbe)
- Afshan (Parvati Patil)
- Shefali (Parvati Patil)
- Biggerstaff Oliver Wood)
- Freddie (Cormac McLaggen)
- Hero (Tom Riddle)
- Tiffin (Tom Riddle)
- Coulson (Tom Riddle)
- Dillane (Tom Riddle)
- Hugh (Colin Creevey)
- Tiana (Angelina Johnson)
- Stanislaz (Viktor Krum)
- Georgina (Katie Bell)
- Cordice (Blaise Zabini)
- Scarlett (Pansy Parkinson)
- William (Nigel)
- Youngblood (Lee Jordan)
- Louis (Ernie MacMillan)
- Charlotte (Hannah Abbot)
- Isabella (Leanne)
- Eleanor (Susan Bones)
- Angelica Mandy (Gabrielle Delacour)
- Henry Lloyd (Roger Davies)
- Gemma (Penelope Clearwater)
Need Cat Sitting?
Cats seem more independent than dogs, sure, but they need attention, play, and treats when you’re gone, too. Your great cat deserves great cat care. You’ve found the best cat name, so now it’s time to find them the perfect cat sitter with Rover.
Find your cat’s perfect match, right from your phone—and then hit the road happy.
New Cat Resources
- Why Cats Sleep on Their Humans
- 9 Warning Signs of an Unhappy Cat
- Are Cats Really Nocturnal?
- Here’s What Your Cat’s Tail Behavior Really Means