Looking to save some bucks with at-home grooming? We’ve got some great tips and products to effortlessly improve your bath and beauty routine—for you and for your dog.
Cornstarch Three Ways
- Pre-treat tangles: Sprinkle cornstarch on mats and tangles before brushing to help loosen knots.
- Use like dry shampoo: Sprinkle on oily areas and brush away the greasies between baths.
- Whiter whites: Sprinkle on white markings and brush out to get them dazzling bright.
Brush Before Bathing
Brushing first to eliminate tangles will make bath time quicker and easier, and speed up drying time, too.
The groomer follows these steps:
- Uses a mixed boar and plastic bristle brush to break up the mats
- Applies a slicker brush to remove loose hairs
- Follows up with a pin brush and comb
Get the Right Tools for the Bath
If you’re committed to bathing at home, why not arm yourself like a pro?
- Non-slip bath tub mat to prevent slipping (a towel works too, but won’t stay put as well)
- Handheld spray nozzle
- Suction cup bathing tether for reluctant bath recipients
- Hair trap to protect your pipes from clogs
Craft Those Nails
- Use pet nail trimmers to cut off overgrown claw tips
- Round and shape with a rough sandpaper drum on your Dremel
Hint: Start with a low RPM to get the dog used to the sound and sensation. Gradually, you’ll be able to build up speed. See the video for more details.
Supplement to Get the Glow
A dab of coconut oil on dry, scaly noses and paw pads will soothe and heal. And it tastes good too! You probably already have some in your kitchen.
Grooming Wipes for Emergency Cleanups
Dirty paws, booties, and ears can all benefit from an occasional swipe with a disposable cleaning cloth. Using dog-specific products ensures there are no harmful ingredients, but the occasional swab with an unscented natural baby wipe is fine, too. Just remember that whatever you put on your dog, your dog ingests.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you decide to buy something when you click one, we may receive a small commission. We only offer recommendations that we believe in. Click here to learn more.