- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
- Not a substitute for professional veterinary help.
While it may seem daunting at first, trimming your dog’s nails at home can be a win-win for everyone involved, especially if your pup hates going to the vet or groomer. Not only can you make nail trims less stressful for your dog, but you can also build trust by practicing cooperative care and going at your pet’s speed.
There’s nothing wrong with outsourcing the job to a pro, of course. Sometimes that’s the easiest, safest way to get things done! But if you’d like to try bringing the task in house, one thing that can help is the right pair of dog nail clippers—one that’s comfortable for human hands, sharp enough to get the job done fast, and sized right for your dog’s weight and breed.
We’ve rounded up the best dog clippers for at-home nail trims, from scissors for smaller breeds to classic plier models for rambunctious puppies.
- Best Overall: Safari Professional Stainless Steel Trimmer
- Best for Beginners: Boshel Dog Nail Clippers and Trimmer
- Best for Large Dogs: Epica Professional Nail Pet Trimmer
- Best for Small Dogs: Boshel Pet Nail Trimmers for Small Dogs
- Best for Travel: Poodle Nail Clipper Scissors for Dogs
- Best Guillotine-Style: Resco Original Deluxe Dog Nail Trimmers
- Best Safety Guard: GoPets Dog Nail Clippers
- Best Value: Millers Forge Dog Nail Trimmer
- Best with Light: Pawsibility Pet Nail Clippers
- Best Grinder: Dremel Dog Nail Grooming Tool
The Safari Professional Nail Trimmer is a great all-around nail clipper with a good price point for its quality. Pet parents like the strength of the stainless steel blades, saying they deliver a consistent sharp cut that goes straight through the nail without splintering it.
Added features include a non-slip grip for precision, an adjustable safety stop for the quick, and a tension spring that pushes the blades open after each cut to make nail trims fast and efficient. The clippers also lock shut when not in use, and the double-bladed cutter makes it easy to switch between both hands.
- Made of top-quality stainless steel
- Sharp blades give a swift, clean cut
- Comfort grip, non-slip handles
- Sharp blades give a swift, clean cut
Best for Beginners: Boshel Dog Nail Clippers and Trimmer
A top-rated option on the market, these professional-grade nail clippers were designed with beginners in mind. Pet parents like that the plier-style is easy to use and the safety stop only allows a small amount of the nail to be trimmed at a time, which helps prevent cutting too deeply. Some reviewers have noted, however, that the safety guard can sometimes slip out of place and nail trimmings can get stuck under the guard.
Other popular safety features include a lock and non-slip grip. An added bonus? They also come with a complimentary nail file.
- Safety stop serves as a nail quick sensor and helps prevent injury
- Excellent for dogs with black or thick nails
- Razor-sharp high quality 3.5 mm thick stainless steel blades
- Sturdy non-slip, easy-grip handles
- Includes a mini nail file in the left handle of the clipper
Best for Large Dogs: Epica Professional Pet Nail Clipper
Another popular dog clipper on the market, the Epica nail trimmers are ideal if you have a large or extra-large breed like a Great Dane. Designed with a large cutter head and heavy-duty stainless steel blades, these sturdy clippers are known to quickly cut through even the thickest nails.
Like many models on our list, these nail clippers include several safety features, such as a locking function, non-slip hand grips, and a safety stop. Plus, they include a lifetime guarantee. Some dog guardians point out, however, that the large size of the clippers can be a bit awkward to handle, especially if you have smaller hands.
- Large design for big dogs
- Sturdy blades cut through thick nails
- Locking function, safety stop
- Comfortable non-slip hand grips
- 100% lifetime guarantee
Best for Small Dogs: Boshel Dog Nail Clippers
If you have a tiny dog, these scissor-style nail trimmers were made specifically for small animals, including cats, rabbits, hamsters, and even birds. A razor-sharp, semi-circular angled blade makes it easy to handle petite paws and still achieve a smooth cut without going near sensitive spots.
The ergonomic rubberized handles also help to keep the trimmers safely in your place, a smart choice for wiggly puppies.
- Scissor-style nail trimmers
- Extra-sharp stainless steel blades for smooth, clean cuts
- A semi-circular angled design gives full visibility
- Ergonomic, comfort-grip handles
- Great for small dogs and puppies with smaller nails
Best for Travel: Poodle Nail Clipper Scissors
Compact and lightweight, these small but mighty nail scissors are great for life on the go. Strong stainless steel blades and anti-slip handles make for a clean cut. And, the small ergonomic design makes them easy to throw in a travel bag, take camping, or store in a first-aid kit.
Reviewers also like that they’re quiet, which is ideal for sound-sensitive pups. Others prefer the smaller grooming tool for better control.
- Small, ergonomic, and easy to throw in a travel bag
- Stainless steel trimmer blades
- Quick sensor to help prevent injuries
- Comfort-grip, anti-slip handles
Best Guillotine: Resco Original Deluxe Dog Nail Clippers
Many pet parents like guillotine-style clippers because they use less pressure, which can be more comfortable for pups with sensitive paws. They can be a bit tricky to work, though, so they’re better suited for dog guardians with a little more trimming experience under their belt.
These Resco dog nail clippers, in particular, offer durable steel blades that deliver a nice clean cut. And the blades are replaceable, so you can swap them out if they ever get dull.
- Guillotine-style blade allows for less pressure with a clean cut
- Micro-honed, replaceable cutting blade
- Comfort-grip handles
- Rubber handle gives a tight grip, even when wet
- Comes with lifetime warranty
Best Safety Guard: GoPets Dog Nail Clippers
Overcutting your dog’s nail is painful. That’s why a lot of trimmers (like the ones on our list) include safety guards and sensors. This option by GoPets has a metal plate that sits flush against the back of the clippers, allowing you to only cut 3mm of the nail at a time. Pet parents have also reported that the depth guard stays safely in place, even when handling wriggly pups.
Available in two sizes, these dog nail clippers are made of stainless steel, feature non-slip handles, and include a nail file.
- Metal safety guard sits securely against the back of clippers
- Only cuts 3mm of the nail at a time
- Great for wiggly and rambunctious pups
- Available in two sizes
Best Value: Millers Forge Dog Nail Clipper
Offering a straightforward but quality model, this trimmer has an excellent price point compared to other plier-style clippers. Dog guardians like that they’re easy to use, provide an accurate trim, and are built to last a long time thanks to the sturdy heat-treated stainless steel blades.
A spring-loaded cutting mechanism makes for a quick trim, and a safety lock keeps the clippers closed when not in use. They don’t come with a quick stop or sensor, though, so you’ll want to make sure you’re precise with your measurements.
- Sharp stainless steel cutting blades
- Heavy duty, made in Italy
- Frequent choice of veterinarians and groomers
Best with Light: Pawsibility Pet Nail Trimmers
Finding your dog’s quick isn’t always easy. These Pawsibility clippers offer an innovative solution with an LED light that helps highlight the bloodline in your dog’s nails (though pet parents have reported they work best for white and brown-colored nails and not black claws). The wide blades are made from high-quality stainless steel and work for pretty much all dog sizes.
These trimmers come with a retractable nail file for any finishing touches and are conveniently packed in a box for easy storage.
- LED light helps to illuminate quick
- Features wide, stainless steel blades
- Complete with a retractable nail file
- Suits all dog sizes
If your pup doesn’t mind the noise, nail grinders are a great alternative to clippers—especially if you’re nervous about accidentally nicking your dog’s quick. Giving you greater control, they can help you achieve smoother edges than clippers. Plus, they’re less likely to wear down over time.
This dog nail grinder uses a strong rotary grinder in lieu of a blade and has two speeds so you can grind the nails and then polish them for a nice rounded finish. It’s also cordless, giving you more flexibility and movement as you trim.
- Uses a strong rotary grinder instead of blades
- Cordless for more flexibility and movement
- Two speeds: one for grinding, one for a smooth finish
- Compatible with a wide array of Dremel drums and bands
- Backed by a two-year warranty
How We Chose
The products featured here were selected based on a combination of our own hands-on testing and a comprehensive look at customer reviews across a wide variety of retail platforms. We chose dog nail clippers based on quality, diversity of design, and models that suit all types of pet parents and their dogs. Lastly, we’re guided by the experience of living and playing alongside our own much-loved and strongly opinionated pets, who are never stingy with their feedback.