Making frozen dog treats can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. Depending on what you have on hand and what flavors your dog prefers, you can whip up a range of creative concoctions.
Read on for appetizing pictures and links to tasty recipes for your dog’s new favorite treat: homemade pupsicles. In order to make homemade frozen dog treats, remember these basic steps: 1) start with a liquid base, 2) mix in a favorite ingredient, 3) freeze and serve. Read on for tons of specific ideas for dog-friendly flavors.
Frozen dog treats: the finest summer doggie delicacies
If you care to experiment, combine any of these pantry staple liquids with a few bits of one of our suggested munchie mix-ins. Pour them into an ice cube tray or muffin tin for instant treats. For extra credit, use a cookie, greenie, bully stick, or other chew as your pupsicle stick!
After completely frozen, your pupsicles can be un-molded and stored in a freezer bag for space-saving convenience. Remember that treats should make up no more than 10% of your dog’s daily calorie intake.
Step 1: Start with any one of these tasty bases
- Low sodium chicken, beef, or vegetable broth
- Peanut butter
- No-sugar applesauce
- Cottage cheese
- Baby food
- Canned dog food (thinned out with water or broth)
- Rice milk
- Canned pumpkin puree
Step 2: Mix in madness! Choose your dog’s favorite ingredients
- Cheese cubes (if tolerated)
- Green beans
- Sweet potato
- Broccoli or cauliflower florets
- Watermelon (seeded)
- Diced or ground meat
Step 3: Freeze and enjoy!
Offer up a homemade pupsicle on a hot day for the perfect picnic treat.
More cool treats for hot dogs
- Add some frozen fruit to your dog’s water dish to encourage drinking.
- If you have a really big freezer, make a really big frozen goodie in a bucket or pail for backyard fun. Fill with small treats or even toys!
- Feed all meals in the form of stuffed frozen Kongs.
- Frozen fruit or veggies by themselves are a nice snack if you don’t have time to prepare pupsicles.
- Pressed for time? Baby food + ice cube tray = the simplest iced treat.