- Not a substitute for professional veterinary help.
You don’t have to be a cat lover long to know that many people have a serious affection for one type of cat over another. One of the most beloved? Tabby cats. It helps that they’re not exactly rare, too.
First things first: tabby cats are not a separate breed; rather, tabby describes a coat pattern. Tabby coats show up in every breed, so you could have a Persian or Siamese tabby. And they can be any color, even black.
What makes tabby cats a distinct group is the “M” on their forehead and stripes on their body. But even tabby cats have more to their looks than a single pattern. As the Cat Fanciers’ Association explains, tabby cats generally come in four types of markings: mackerel, classic, spotted or ticked.
- Mackerel: narrow stripes that run parallel to each other, the most common kind
- Classic: elaborate swirls over the cat’s sides with a butterfly pattern over the shoulders
- Spotted: similar to the mackerel or classic, but the lines are broken in certain places
- Ticked: multiple colors for each hair on the cat, with bars on legs and tail
Pretty cool, right?
The Cutest Cat Names for a Tabby
Now that you know for sure what a tabby cat is, it’s time to find an excellent name for yours.
These names, pulled from Rover’s databases, are, in this writer’s opinion, the cutest names for a tabby cat. Some are stripe related, some evoke color, and some I just like.
Famous Cat Names for a Tabby
If you want to honor cats of years gone past, try naming your stripey feline after a tabby icon.
- All Ball, beloved companion of Coco the gorilla
- Tabby, First Pet to President Abraham Lincoln
- Heathcliff, cartoon cat
- Garfield, friend of Jon, hater of Mondays
- Nermal, frenemy of Garfield
- The Cheshire Cat
- Lil Bub
- Keyboard Cat
- Bill the Cat, from Bloom County
- Azrael, from The Smurfs
- Hobbes, of Calvin and Hobbes (technically a stuffed tiger, but close enough to count in my opinion)
- Thomasina from Disney’s 1963 movie based on a 1957 novel about a cat who lives three lives
- Freya, who belongs to former British Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne
- Think Think, one of two cats belonging to the President of Taiwan, Tsai Ing-wen
- Tigger (again, possibly a tiger, but let’s keep an open mind here)
Striped Animal Cat Names for a Tabby
Anybody’s who’s owned a cat knows that, even though housecats are domesticated, they don’t always feel like they’re domesticated. Sometimes it’s like they’re only steps away from full-blown wild animals.
Some of my favorite cats have been named after wild animals. (Shoutout to my buddy Geoduck.) Animal names are cute, unique, and just plain fun.
But we wanted to get even more specific for this list, and searched out wild animals (OK, and one insect) that have stripes, just like your tabby. So why not name your tabby after one of the many gorgeous striped species on this list? My favorites are Hog Badger and Monjon.
- Nubian ibex
- Hog badger
- Mona monkey
Pattern-Inspired Cat Names for Tabby
Yet another category of names to consider! Since your tabby is showing off their stripes, why not give a shoutout to some very awesomely-named patterns you can find both in fashion and elsewhere in the natural world?
Need Cat Sitting?
Cats seem more independent than dogs, sure, but they need attention, play, and treats when you’re gone, too. Your great cat deserves great cat care. You’ve found the best cat name, so now it’s time to find them the perfect cat sitter with Rover.
New Cat Resources
If you’re adding a kitten or a newly adopted cat to your family, these articles will help you both get off on the right paw.
- How Long Can You Leave a Kitten Alone?
- The Best Cat Toys of 2019, According to Cats
- How Do Cats Choose Their Favorite Person?
- The 13 Best Healthy Kitten Treats for a Growing Cat
- 100 Best Orange Cat Names for 2019 with Popularity Rankings
Find a Great Name for Your Cat on Rover
Still searching for the perfect name? We have even more cat names to consider.