No! While the bran part of raisin bran is safe to eat, grapes (and therefore raisins) are toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure. Veterinarians aren’t entirely sure how many raisins it takes to create this toxic effect, so it’s best to avoid them entirely.
Symptoms to Look For
Unfortunately, the symptoms of grape/raisin toxicity are difficult to pinpoint. They look similar to kidney failure symptoms resulting from other causes (such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, constipation, and increased thirst). If your dog ingests grapes or raisins, call your vet to see if your dog needs an exam.
For More Information
We offer a wide-ranging collection of articles on which foods are safe and unsafe for dogs to eat, including everything from breads to fruits to beverages. You might also be interested in reading “Can My Dog Eat Bran Flakes?“
The information provided in this article is not a substitute for professional veterinary help.