Passing through the mountain town of Missoula with your dog in tow? Make sure to make the time to swing by a local dog park and let them stretch their legs. There’s even an indoor, climate-controlled option for those extra-blustery days. Enjoy!
Click on the parks in the map below for more info on the parks, and scroll down for Instagram photos of each park!
Top 7 Dog Parks in Missoula
- Bark Park at Jacob’s Island Park
- Wagg’n Indoor Dog Park
- Caras Park
- Greenough Park
- Rattlesnake National Recreation Area
- Painted Rocks State Park
- Pattee Canyon Recreation Area
1. Bark Park at Jacob’s Island Park
S Van Buren St. & S 5th St. E Missoula, MT 59803
- Spacious and beautiful park
- Swimming access for pups and people (creeks and river!)
- Make sure dogs are licensed and vaccinated
- Not completely fenced in, so if your dog’s a wanderer, might not be the best fit
- Plenty of trails for meandering down
- A little hard to find for out-of-towners
2. Wagg’n Indoor Dog Park
7602 DeSmet Rd, STE A2, Missoula, MT 59808
- Membership and monthly fee required
- Indoor, climate-controlled facility – bad weather can’t keep your dog from having a blast!
- Off-leash indoor play area with lots of natural light
- Free self-service dog wash available
- Separate play area for small and older dogs
- Social groups for pups
- Comfy amenities for humans too
3. Caras Park
123 Carousel Dr, Missoula, MT 59802
- Dogs on leash are welcome
- Plenty of dining options and other events for the whole family!
- Lush grassy areas to lounge around on
- No dogs allowed in pavilion during events
4. Greenough Park
1001 Monroe St, Missoula, MT 59802
- Keeps dogs on a leash
- Parking lot is a little small
- This park has it all – hiking trails, picnic areas, and plenty of open and wooded areas
- Beautiful river winds along the walking trail
- Popular spot for people to walk their pups
5. Rattlesnake National Recreation Area
Lolo National Forest, Rattlesnake Dr, Missoula, MT 59802
- Dogs on leashes are welcome in almost all areas of this park
- VERY huge with 61,000 acres of wildness
- The Woods Gulch trail loop has no dog restrictions
6. Painted Rocks State Park
8809 W Fork Rd, Darby, MT 59829
- A little ways away, but worth the trip!
- It’s recommended that dogs remain on leash
- Spacious park with over 23 acres of wilderness
- Plenty of things for the whole family to do
7. Pattee Canyon Recreation Area
Lolo National Forest, Missoula, MT 59803
- Keep dogs leashed
- Dogs are allowed in almost all of the areas of Pattee Canyon except the groomed cross country ski areas
- Hike trails like Crazy Canyon and the Sam Braxton trails with your pup!
- Shady trees, lovely picnic areas and trails your dog will adore
Don’t feel guilty if you can’t find the time to exercise your pup sufficiently while you’re in Missoula. There are plenty of local dog walkers you can hire to take them around town – they’ll appreciate it!