Welcome Walmart customers! As you prepare for your first Rover service, there are a few easy things you can do in advance of your appointment to set up your pet and your Rover care provider for success.
In this article, we’ll explore:
- How to prepare for the day of your Rover service
- Tips and products to keep your pet comfortable and safe
Let’s dig in!
How to Prepare for the Day of Your Rover Service
Get ready and stay organized with the following helpful tips.
- Have kennels and carriers, leashes and harnesses, poop bags, and any other necessary pet supplies ready to go
- Bring or supply any medication your pet will need during their service, along with any specific instructions about administering the medication
- For boarding and house sitting, make sure your pet has enough of their regular food and treats to last the length of the Rover service
- Gather any important information you may not have communicated at your meet and greet, such as emergency phone numbers, lists of allergies, house rules, etc.
- For grooming visits, supply any pet products such as shampoo or ear cleaners you explicitly want the groomer to use (the groomer will use their own preferred products otherwise)
- Keep your phone handy to access the Rover app should you or your care provider have any questions for one another
The Golden Rule: Just Be Honest
Jennifer Newheiser, who works in marketing at Rover but also frequently books Rover sitting services, says being upfront and forthcoming with your Rover care provider is the best preparation of all.
“Overall, just be open and honest,” she says. “If you’re trying to hide that your dog isn’t totally potty trained, or that your dog begs for treats all day, your Rover care provider is going to learn that at some point and then it will become a point of contention rather than something you could have gotten out of the way to start.
I also highly recommend leaving more details than you think are necessary. As an example, if you have child locks on your kitchen cabinets, make sure you tell them how to work them! If your dog likes to sleep under the bed, let them know that behavior is normal and they’re not hiding because they’re scared of the sitter!”
Products to Keep Your Pet Safe and Comfortable During Their Rover Service
Once you have settled on a care provider and have booked your service, it’s time to start thinking about preparing your pet for their upcoming Rover visit. At this point, you’ll want to take into consideration the type of service you are booking and the unique personality of your pet.
We asked Rover employee, Rachel Hilburn, who works directly with Rover customers, for some tips and products that she recommends to keep Rover pets happy and comfortable. She noted you’ll want to keep in mind things such as:
Your pet’s age and energy level. Rowdy, energetic puppies and young dogs—whether in your own home, or a sitter’s—will benefit from having their favorite squeaky or chew toys with them, or even better, an exciting new toy or two to keep them busy. You can’t go wrong with a classic rope toy, or a treat dispensing chew toy. Older, senior dogs or simply more mellow pups will appreciate the comfort and smell of their own dog bed, or their favorite treats.
- Hilburn’s Bonus tip: “Include an item that smells like you, such as a t-shirt or article of clothing.”
The basics including leashes and harnesses, a supply of poop bags, food and treats, etc. Cat or dog, in your home or theirs, your pet will be better off surrounded by as many of the smells and comforts of home as possible. Having a fresh supply of their regular food and favorite treats on hand, a sturdy leash and harness set by the door, a full roll of poop bags, and/or a just-scooped litter box with fresh litter nearby will go a long way in keeping your pet (and sitter or walker) as comfortable as possible while you’re away.
- Hilburn’s Bonus tip: “Don’t forget to bring clean water and food bowls with you. Having an extra travel set of collapsible or textile bowls is a good idea. If your Rover sitter will be watching your pet in your home, make sure your pet’s bowls are clean and easy for the sitter to find at feeding time.”
Your pet’s general temperament. Booking a grooming appointment? Have a nervous pet, or a dog that suffers from separation anxiety? Calming pheromones in the form of a spray, diffuser, or even as treats have been known to help anxious pets when away from their pet moms and dads. For crate-trained dogs or cats who feel safe in their den-like carrier, don’t forget the pet crate, and a snuggly blanket or comfy crate pad.
- Hilburn’s Bonus tip: “If your dog has to take any medication, include pill pockets or treats they can take with their meds.”
Final Thoughts and Additional Resources
With a little planning and preparation, you and your pet will be ready in no time for your next Rover boarding, house sitting, or day care service—and you can rest easy knowing that your furry family member is in good hands with us.
For more about your next Rover service, visit one of the links below.
Walmart customers will receive their gift card within 48 hours of completing their Rover stay. See this page for more details.