The delicate, crumbly texture of this decadent shortbread is a decided departure from the same-old-same-old of stale and crunchy store-bought treats. We’ve replaced all the butter and sugar with dog-friendly peanut butter. You can cut these out into simple shapes, or simply press into a sheet pan to be cut into bars later.Print
Peanut Butter Shortbread Cookies for Dogs
1 1/4 cups natural peanut butter (check ingredients for dangerous xylitol)
3/4 cup milk (nut milk is fine, too)
2 cups oat flour (made from rolled oats in the food processor)
1/4 cup tapioca flour (you can replace with any other flour, but tapioca flour improves crumbly texture)
- Preheat oven to 325º
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream the peanut butter for 2-3 minutes, preferably with a stand mixer.
- Add the milk and continue mixing on low.
- Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time just until mixed.
- Turn out onto a parchment lined surface to roll out.
- Roll out half the dough and cut out your cookies. You will want to use a simple shape for this recipe as shortbread dough is crumbly and finicky by nature.
- Bake at 325º for 15 minutes or until just starting to turn golden around the edges.
- Cool on the pan to prevent breakage.
Bea thinks peanut butter is man’s greatest invention so 4 paws up.