- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
- Not a substitute for professional veterinary help.
Let’s face it, our dogs approach the water bowl with haphazard priorities: They might grab a drink while chasing the cat, drop a toy in it, try to clean a paw or two, or go Jackson Pollock on the hardwood floors. Precision isn’t their strong suit. If you’ve got one of these drooling, splashing love bugs in your house, you’re probably intrigued by the notion of a no-spill dog water bowl.
After testing a few models we found that, while some of these bowls have clever designs and unique approaches to the problem, none are really foolproof against all kinds of mess-maker. (We’re hoping the manufacturers keep working on it!)
As a result, finding the right no-spill bowl requires something of a targeted approach. For example, bowl flippers can often be defeated with a heavy model with a non-skid bottom, while slobberers can benefit from angled lids that help water drain back into the bowl.
Splashers who view the water bowl as their own mini water park are a difficult case, but you might look for bowls with small openings or those that release a limited amount of water as your dog drinks. And if all else fails, we’ve also added a few non-bowl options to help contain your dog’s drinking habits at least a little bit.
The good news is these no-spill bowls are relatively low-cost—which we found encouraging in our quest for puddle-free floors.
- Most Popular Spill-Proof Dog Water Bowls: Upsky No Spill Dog Water Bowl and PetMate No Spill Bowl
- Best No-Spill Dog Water Bowl for Large Dogs: Lidlok Elevated No-Spill Dog Water Bowl
- Best No-Spill Dog Water Bowls for Travel: Franklin Sports No Spill Travel Dog Bowl and Malsipree Dog Water Bottle
- Best No-Spill Dog Bowl for Bowl Flippers: AG-Unicorn Ceramic Pet Bowl and Stand
- Best No-Spill Dog Water Bowl for Droolers and Slobberers: Road Refresher Slobber Stopper
- Best Dog Bowl Mat to Contain Messes: Avydiif Silicon Dog Feeding Mat
Most Popular Spill-Proof Dog Water Bowls
Upsky No-Spill Dog Water Bowl (Verified Review)
We tested this model with a few dogs, and all of them were able to figure out the mechanism quickly. For dogs not prone to playing, the bowl did lessen the mess around it. If your dog is prone to playing, beware—this design might just be too entertaining, since the floating plate is a really fun way to splash.
If you want to give this bowl a try, be sure to buy a model that holds enough water for your dog. A too-small bowl will mean lots of refills, as your dog won’t be able to access all of the water in the same way they could in a traditional bowl.
- Uses a floating plate design to keep spills at bay
- Has a non-skid bottom
- Mechanism is easy for dogs to learn
- Available in multiple colors and in sizes from 35 ounces to 70 ounces
- May not be suitable for dogs who like to play in their bowls
- Lightweight and easy to flip
- Dogs cannot access all the water in the bowl, so it may require frequent refills
PetMate No-Spill Bowl (Verified Review)
This lightweight and low-cost no-spill bowl from PetMate keeps messes to a minimum by having only a small opening—just the right size for a dog’s snout. We found it remarkably successful at limiting spills, though it also required frequent refilling.
This bowl itself is lightweight, without a non-skid bottom, which makes it vulnerable to flippers. We think its best use is as a travel bowl, especially if your dog will need water while traveling in a vehicle. If it’s on a flat surface and you don’t have a bowl flipper, it works well to prevent spills.
In our tests, we found that larger dogs had a hard time accessing the water with their larger snouts; all dogs were only able to get to the top layer of the water.
- Design limits spills by having only a small opening
- Low-cost bowl
- A good travel bowl option
- Holds 48 ounces
- Easy for a dog to flip
- Larger dogs may have issues accessing water
- Requires frequent refills
Best No-Spill Dog Water Bowl for Large Dogs: Lidlok Elevated No-Spill Dog Water Bowl
This no-spill dog bowl is designed for larger dogs, and the height can be adjusted for dogs who prefer not to have to bend down to their bowl. It prevents spills and splashes with its slow-feed mechanism: a floating cover that your dog must press with their nose or tongue in order to drink.
The bottom of the bowl is non-skid, which helps with dogs who like to push their bowls around. It’s stainless steel and can go in the dishwasher.
- Adjustable elevation and non-skid bottom
- Ideal for large dogs
- Uses a floating cover mechanism to prevent spills and splashes
- Large capacity
- A more expensive model
- Not for smaller breeds (manufacturer notes that it is also not suitable for Schnauzers)
Best No-Spill Dog Water Bowls for Travel
The Franklin Sports No-Spill dog bowl is designed for travel, with a simple inverted design and extended lip that helps prevent water from spilling in a jostling car, truck, or boat. It comes in two sizes: 16 ounces and 27 ounces, is made from BPA-free plastic, and costs less than some toys.
- Designed to prevent spills while on the go
- Made from BPA-free plastic
- Holds 16 or 27 ounces of water
- Low cost
- Can also be used for kibble
- Easy for a determined dog to flip
Malsipree Dog Water Bottle (Verified Review)
This bowl-bottle hybrid is another popular no-spill travel drinking option. The water bottle is designed to dispense water on demand using a button release to prevent spills and waste. Compact and portable, these might be a good travel option if your dog is prone to flipping bowls or playing with their water supply.
Our testers were especially impressed that the water can be released back into the bottle if your dog doesn’t want everything you’ve dispensed.
- Button release is designed to reduce spills and waste
- Portable and compact; all-in-one travel bowl and water storage
- This is a portable solution, not a household one
- Human help required to dispense water
Best No-Spill Dog Bowl for Bowl Flippers: AG-Unicorn Ceramic Pet Bowl and Stand
- Heavy bowl is anchored in its wood stand, making it difficult to flip
- Aesthetically pleasing bamboo and ceramic combination
- Non-toxic materials
- Holds 26 ounces of water
- While it may be difficult to flip, messy drinkers might need a different design
Best No-Spill Dog Water Bowl for Droolers and Slobberers: Road Refresher Slobber Stopper
This bowl combines a few techniques for keeping spills at bay, including the shape of the bowl’s lip and a floating disk that controls the amount of water available for consumption. This has the added benefit of slowing down your dog’s drinking, keeping them from taking in big gulps of water, as well as helping to keep debris from getting into the water bowl.
The bottom of the bowl has Velcro strips, which you can use to secure to some surfaces. Human ingenuity 1, bowl flippers 0! The bowl comes in two sizes: 20 ounces and 47 ounces.
- Reduces spillage with bowl and lip shape
- Floating disk design dispenses water as needed and keeps debris out
- Ideal for slobberers and furry-muzzled drinkers
- Comes in 20-ounce and 47-ounce capacity
- Optional Velcro anchors to prevent bowl flipping and sliding
Best Dog Bowl Mat to Contain Messes: Avydiif Silicon Dog Feeding Mat
If a non-spill dog bowl isn’t going to work for your situation, there are other products that can at least help to contain the mess. These silicone feeding mats are a popular tool to help keep spills from damaging floors or carpets.
They’re 100% waterproof and have a high lip to help contain both water spills and kibble. The mats are easy to clean, either in the sink or the dishwasher. They can be rolled or folded for packing and storage.
- 100% waterproof and BPA-free silicon protects floors
- High lips to contain spills
- Easy to pack and store
- Dishwasher safe
How We Chose
The no-spill dog bowls featured here were selected based on a combination of our own hands-on testing and a comprehensive look at customer reviews across a wide variety of retail platforms. We prioritized no-spill bowls made from safe materials, that incorporated creative designs, and that could provide solutions for the many different causes of spills.
We’re also guided by the experience of living and playing alongside our own much-loved and strongly opinionated pets, who are never stingy with their feedback.