Homemade dog treats are affordable, super-healthy, and easy to make. Really. You can whip up this five-ingredient recipe in no time. It’s tasty, wholesome, and chock full of good stuff for your pooch. (Plus dairy-free, sugar-free, and low in gluten.)
What You’ll Need
- Blueberries for antioxidants and more
- Oats for fiber and protein
- Applesauce for vitamin C (and is low in calories for the weight-conscious!)
- Peanut butter for heart-healthy fats and plenty of protein
- Coconut oil for a shiny coat and improved digestion
Pro tip: make sure to use unsweetened ingredients! That means no added sugar or artificial sweeteners of any kind. Avoid any brands with xylitol, in particular, as this additive is harmful to dogs.
5 Ingredient Dog Treats
Prep time:15 minutes
Yield: 15 balls
- ½ cup unsweetened peanut butter
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup blueberries
- 2 cups oats
- Add the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Drop in the oats; stir to combine.
- Form tablespoon-size balls and dust with more oats.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
See what we mean about easy?
We called in a dog treat expert to help make these: Gus, the Boston Terrier chef extraordinaire. He gave these a spin in our dog-friendly test kitchen, and he approves. See for yourself!