Not surprisingly, the miniature Australian shepherd resembles the larger Australian shepherd, though more compact in size. Females standing between 13 to 17 inches, and males from 14 to 19 inches. How’d they get so small? Well, according to The American Kennel Club, the smaller-sized Australian shepherds that were working in the U.S. rodeo circuit in the 1960s were selectively bred to further reduce their size, and soon their travel-friendly size made them super-popular in the States.
They’re also rocking those beautiful coats in black, blue merle, red, and red merle, and have the same sense of loyalty, friendliness, and humor as their larger relatives. Oh, plus they just can’t stop herding things.
They definitely thrive on interactions with their humans and shouldn’t be left alone for too long or they might get destructive. Mini Australian shepherds also require significant exercise and mental stimulation. This means they’re great for children—they’re gentle, but they also have high-energy that is perfectly suited for your energetic little people. Their social natural even means they’re good with other pets, so you can happily introduce them to other furry inhabitants of your home.
Now that we’ve learned a bit about this incredible breed, it’s time to understand what taking care of a miniature Australian shepherd’s grooming needs actually entails, including mini Aussie haircuts to try. Here’s what you need to know.
Keeping your miniature Australian shepherd looking cute is all about tending to their fur. These are big shedders thanks to their double coats, so their fur requires some serious attention.
- To keep shedding under control, it’s essential to brush them often. Your couch (and your pup) will thank you.
- Step up your brushing game during the shedding season, which occurs about twice a year.
- What kind of brush, you ask? The best combination is a pin brush (or other stiff-bristled brush) that can reach through all the fur and a metal comb for mats. You can try different brands to see what works best for you and your pup.
- Focus on the legs and the front of the neck, which needs special attention to prevent tangles.
- Give your pup a bath every 2-3 months, but don’t overdo it or you may risk irritating and drying out their skin. Use a dog-safe blow dryer to fully dry their fur and leave them feeling spiffy.
- Don’t forget the nails—keep them comfy by trimming the nails regularly. Long nails can cause foot pain in dogs.
1. Puppy Cut
This is a fairly simple style where you trim Aussie’s coat to the same length all over the body. The head, legs and tail are usually left a bit longer. This gives your pet a cute puppy-like appearance and it’s fairly easy to maintain.
2. Teddy Bear Cut
However you decide to groom your miniature Australian shepherd, they’re going to look fluffy, fantastic and cuddly—and you’ll be happy once you find the right style that fits in with your family (and budget and free time).
While discussing grooming tips for this breed, it’s essential to emphasize that shaving your Miniature Australian Shepherd is definitely not recommended. There are a number of reasons why this is a bad idea, but here are a few of the most important ones we want to mention:
- Their double-coat works together to keep your dog comfortable—cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- Shaving takes away the outer coat, which takes away much of the beautiful coloring and markings of your pup. All you’ll be left with is the undercoat—a less exciting, muted cream, gray or beige color all over.
- Even when they’re shaved, they’ll continue to shed (although the hairs will be shorter, obviously).
The only time you should shave or trim a Miniature Australian Shepherd is at your vet’s recommendation, usually due to a health issue. Some dogs are prone to allergies. If they scratch enough to wound themselves, it may be in their best interest to shave parts or all of their hair to apply topical medication or to regrow hair from scratch.
In other words, your Miniature Australian Shepherd is perfect as is. Besides a shampoo, brush and thorough blow-drying, a Miniature Australian Shepherd is primped, fluffy, and ready to go!
Does your Miniature Australian Shepherd need a shampoo and glam-up? How about a fresh nail trim? A groomer can now come to your house! Rover offers dog grooming in Seattle, Austin, Washington DC, and Denver. To learn more, please check out our page here.