Share these toasty, crumbly shortbread cookies with all the dog people in your life—their dogs will thank you! Homemade dog treats for the holidays always make a tasty, heartwarming gift.
The combination of toasted coconut, coconut flour, and coconut oil creates a seasonal dog treat with a warm, house-filling aroma. The dried cranberries add a chewy textural surprise with just a hint of tart to break up the richness of the shortbread.Print
Cranberry Coconut Shortbread Treats for Dogs
Coconut is a popular ingredient for dogs and people. It boasts anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, as well as making your dog’s coat shine. Cranberries are packed with healthy antioxidants and vitamin C.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 28 minutes
- Total Time: 48 minutes
- Yield: 24 large treats 1x
- Category: Winter Treats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried coconut
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/3 dried cranberries (look for unsweetened or low-sugar)
Preheat oven to 325ºF
- Toast dried coconut for 5-10 minutes or just until golden on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Cream coconut oil for about 2 minutes in a stand mixer or just until fluffy.
- Add the flours and baking powder and continue to mix on low.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- When a nice ball of dough is formed, mix in cranberries and toasted coconut until just combined.
- Roll out dough about 1/4 of an inch thick. It will be delicate to work with until baked and cooled.
- Cut into simple shapes, use a spatula to transfer to baking tray if necessary.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until just starting to brown around the edges.
The shortbread will be delicate until cooled, so let the treats cool on the baking tray.
Cranberry Coconut Dog Treats: Tasting Notes
Yumbly, crumbly goodness. Bea approves!