- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
- Not a substitute for professional veterinary help.
This recipe is excerpted with permission from Kevyn Matthews‘ Becoming a Dog Chef: Stories and Recipes to Spoil Your Pup From America’s Top Dog Chef, published in July 2021 by Mango Publishing.
If you have a dog with arthritis, you know how uncomfortable it is for them. I had a client with severe arthritis, and nothing the vet prescribed seemed to work. I made these to help, and the dog loved them! The flavor of the gelatin made them hard to resist, and the effects were life changing. In combination with my meal plan and CBD treats, this dog was like a puppy again!Print
Fish or Krill Oil Gummies for Dogs [Recipe]
You’ll need: A candy mold, coconut oil spray, a small mixing bowl, a mixing spoon, a whisk, and paper towels
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12-24 individual gummies
* 3 1⁄4 oz. unflavored gelatin
* 1/3 cup cold water
* 1⁄4–1⁄2 tsp. of fish or krill oil
* Food coloring (sugar- and xylitol-free)
1. Gather your ingredients, as well as a silicone gummy bear or worm mold. It can actually be any shape you want, as long as it’s silicone for easy removal.
2. Spray a paper towel with coconut oil spray, then rub it lightly around the bear cavities in the mold to coat them with a thin layer of oil. This will prevent them from sticking to the mold.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the gelatin and the cold water. Let them sit at room temperature for 10 minutes to allow the gelatin to soak up the water and soften.
4. Place the bowl in the microwave and cook for 30 seconds, then whisk well.
5. Microwave for another 30 seconds and stir.
6. Add a few drops of food coloring and stir until your desired color is reached.
7. Pour the gelatin into the candy mold cavities.
8. Place the candy mold in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes to set the gelatin.
9. To remove the gummies, carefully push the sides away from the edges and toward the center, then pull them up and out of the molds.
10. Serve and enjoy (unused gummies can be frozen).
Extra-virgin coconut oil has become a popular choice for humans because it’s a healthier alternative to more processed saturated and trans fats, and the same applies to dogs. Coconut oil has also been shown to help dogs lose weight, give them more energy, and offer relief to dry skin. Bonus: it will help improve your dog’s bad breath, and it’s also great for their coat! This cool candy recipe is not only delicious, but it’s actually really healthy!