- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
Does your cat crave the cuddling sensation of laps and super-squishy beds? If so, they’re likely to take to a cat hammock, which gives them similar feelings of being surrounded by support. We had fun checking out the wide range of cat hammocks on the market, including many that come as part of cat trees and play furniture.
You might wonder if your cat will be willing to leap into something that swings a bit. Surprisingly, most are. Some pet parents report that they positioned new stand-alone hammocks near furniture or a staircase to encourage the cat to check them out. Many of the hammocks are integrated into cat tree structures, so your kitty can step easily into the hammock from an adjoining cat bed or carpeted platform.
Choosing a Cat Hammock
As you browse hammocks, consider these factors so you’ll be sure to get a hammock that fits your cat and your household.
- Space: If you have plenty of room, consider one of the cat trees that offer the hammock as one option along with open and enclosed perches and beds. If you are short on square footage, look for a hammock with a small base that has supports that can do double-duty as scratching posts. If you have minimal floor space, check out window-mounted hammocks (or look at our article on window-mounted cat beds).
- Size: Check the hammock’s specifications. Many are designed for small-to-mid-size cats (12 pounds or less). Others can handle cats weighing 15 pounds or more leaping aboard. And speaking of leaping: Measure the height of the hammock. Some hammocks will delight your young acrobatic cat, while others are designed for a sedate senior cat to step into.
- Maintenance: Some of the window-mount hammocks are easy to wash or wipe down. Many of the suspended hammocks can be removed and machine washed. Keep in mind that scratching post supports may wind up looking worn out before the hammock itself does.
The Best Cat Hammocks
We’ve selected a wide variety of fabulous cat hammocks for our list; you’re sure to find one that matches your cat’s needs for a snuggly napping place—as well as your budget and decor.
This highly rated cat tree has it all, including a comfy hammock for your cat on the lower level and a hammock-like “lounge basket” near the top. The base is a stable 39 by 24 inches, and the tree weighs in at 65 pounds; the structure is made of engineered wood. This will keep your cat entertained, or provide lounge space for two or more kitties! It’s available in gray or dark charcoal.Shop on Chewy
Short on space? This compact hammock includes two scratching posts and dangling toys to delight your cat. With a hefty 22-by-22-inch base, this nine-pound cat tree can stand up to lively cat play. This hammock gets top ratings from kittens to older cats, according to reviews. It’s available in ivory, gray, black, or cheetah print.Shop on Chewy
This lightweight hammock-style cat bed attaches firmly to your window with four industrial-strength suction cups so your cat can luxuriate from whatever height you choose. The gray fleece cover for the 12-by-23-inch hammock is removable and machine washable. Need to close the curtains? This hammock bed can fold right up against the window!Find on Chewy
This easy-to-assemble cat hammock weighs in at just 3.5 pounds but can handle up to 20 pounds. It’s low and easy to access, so ideal for older cats. To wash the reversible cotton hammock cover, just unclip it from the frame.Shop on Chewy
This sturdy perch—for cats or dogs—has a spacious 17-by-22-inch hammock just seven inches off the ground. It’s perfect for keeping your kitty safely elevated from a cold or hot floor surface. The pillow-top-cushioned hammock is removable and machine washable.Find on Chewy
This hop-in hammock is supported by two sturdy sisal-wrapped scratching posts so you get the most for your space. The 10-pound structure with a modest 16-by-16-inch base will accommodate a mid-size cat (up to 12 pounds).Shop on Chewy
Designed for small pets in cages or crates, this cushy fleece hammock suspended by clips would also be great in a catio. The 14-by-14-inch hammock is durable and machine washable. Adjustable straps make it possible to adapt the space-saving hammock to just about any enclosure—it can also be installed under a chair or under any other suitable surface.Find on Amazon
Does your cat like to sleep in the sink? Now you can let them enjoy that same experience—without interfering with your access to running water! This Space Age-style cat lounge pod isn’t exactly a hammock, but since it’s suspended, we’ve included it here. Suitable for cats up to 15 pounds, it’s only 6.5 inches high—perfect for cautious cats seeking comfort. It’s available in black or white.Buy on Amazon
Six industrial-strength suction cups hold up this double-tier cat bed’s steel framework so your cats can frolic on two levels. An entry hole in the top hammock allows your kitty to easily level up. Fleece covers are removable and washable.Find on Amazon
This cat tree has one of the most spacious hammocks around, plus two enclosed “playhouses” and one cat bed at the top of the tree. This is perfect for cats that like to hang out together. This tree weighs in at a sturdy 59 pounds and comes in gray or beige.Shop on Chewy
This hammock-style wall-mounted wood shelf can be mounted at whatever level your cat prefers—it’s a great way to get the cat off your desk! You can install multiple shelves to create a complete cat climbing wall or to accommodate multiple cats. The shelf comes with both a fiber-type cover for scratching or a soft wool cover for napping. And it’s perfect for big cats—it holds up to 33 pounds!Shop on Amazon
- The Best Cat Towers of 2019
- The Best Cat Toys for 2020 According to a Few Hyperactive, Playful Cats
- The 9 Best Cat Beds for 2019
Featured image via Chewy