- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
There’s no such thing as too much time spent with our cats, which is why we fully support making any effort to bring them out and about with us. It can be tricky, though, to find a safe, comfortable way to transport a kitty. Enter the wonderful world of cat backpacks.
Want to take your cat on a hike? Need to take them for a visit to the vet/cat-watcher/therapist? You’re in luck, since these specially made backpacks are perfect for toting around your furry friend—and they’re stylish as well.
Shopping for Cat Backpacks
When it comes to a cat backpack, not just any bag will do—you’re going to need to make sure it has all of the features that make it safe and comfortable for a kitty.
- Durability: Make sure there’s a frame that can support your pet—and look out for specific weight maximums for every bag. You’ll also want to ensure that the fabric is thick enough to hold up against cat claws.
- Convenience: The backpack should be easy to use, meaning that it’s not impossible to get your cat in or out of the bag. Pockets are great for storing treats and other necessities, and some even come with a special collapsible water dish.
- Comfort: Make sure the bag is actually comfortable for you to wear. Wide shoulder straps and even chest straps can help distribute the weight. The backpack should also be comfy for your cat, meaning it should be fairly roomy and have a pad for extra comfort.
- Ventilation: Since kitties can get seriously overheated in a confined space, the bag must have plenty of opportunity for airflow. Mesh windows help keep cats cool, and they also let them enjoy the view outside. Make sure all fabrics are breathable and flexible.
- Security: Make sure your cat stays inside! Zippers should lock, and seams should be reinforced and secure. Some bags even have an internal leash that you can clip your pet to for extra security (while still making sure they can move and lie down comfortably).
The Best Backpacks for Cats
And now, without further ado, here’s a list of some top-notch cat backpacks that have wonderful reviews and are helping ensure that kitties are sitting pretty (and safely) as they continue to explore the wide, wide world.
Got yourself a cat that’s a little on the husky side? This backpack just might be the pick for you, since it’s one of the only packs that can hold a cat up to around 20 pounds. This bag has a clip inside to attach a harness, side pockets, and a comfy mat that’s attached to the pack with Velcro. There’s an opening in the top so that your cat can pop their head out, plus a larger zipper opening for easy kitty loading and unloading. Then, of course, there’s the popular bubble window for kitties who like a good view. If your kitty prefers less visual stimulation, the bubble window can be switched out with a hard screen that can shield them from prying eyes.
This highly-reviewed cat backpack definitely lives up to its hype—we know because we tested it out! Our human reviewer liked how comfortable it was, especially while adventuring with a rather large cat, while our feline reviewers gave it four paws up. Dimensions: 14 x 11 x 17 inches.Buy on Amazon
The backpack-style carrier, available in blue or gray, is designed for cats up to 16 pounds. You can load your kitty in from the front or the top—both have zipper closures. We like the fluffy interior pad (removable for washing). The backpack straps are ideal for people who have trouble lugging a regular cat carrier with a single strap or handle. Dimensions: 13 x 12 x 17 inches.
There’s plenty of room in this carrier for a good-sized cat. There’s also plenty of ventilation thanks to the mesh windows and soft, comfy bedding for your pet. Waist and chest buckles are included to make carrying more convenient, and zipper buckles ensure that your cat will stay put. Dimensions: 11.4 x 12.6 x 16.8 inches.Buy on Amazon
No need to choose between rollaboard, shoulder bag, or backpack—this carrier is all three. This Oxford-fabric backpack is spacious and airy, with three mesh panels. Thick fleece padding will keep your kitty comfortable. We like the two large side pockets for convenient storage of your cat’s paperwork, leashes, and treats, and the wheels and front legs that keep the base of the pack off the ground. Note that this carrier is definitely for smaller cats, up to 9 pounds. Dimensions: 13 x 12 x 20 inches.
Whether you’re looking for a backpack, front pack, shoulder bag, handbag, or even a car-seat create, this is a convenient cat carrier to have. With walk-through doors, zipper security locks, a washable fleece bed, and plenty of ventilation, this bag has lots of amenities to make your cat’s ride comfortable. Dimensions (Medium): 17 x 11 x 9.5 inches.Buy Now on Amazon
Designed for smaller cats (up to 10 pounds), the Day Tripper carrier offers your kitty a safe, comfortable ride. Front and top zippered entrances make it easy to get your cat in or out, and there’s an internal safety leash for added security. You’ll enjoy the padded shoulder straps and secure hip strap. The internal pad is machine washable. Chewy reviewers rank it high for quality and durability. Dimensions: 10.83 x 14.57 x 16.93 inches.Buy on Chewy
This bag comes with all the bells and whistles: zip-up mesh windows, cozy sherpa-lined bedding, safety strap and buckle, plus extra padded straps, side pouches, and a collapsible pet bowl. Now you just need the cute kitty to go inside! Dimensions: 12.5 x 10.2 x 16.3 inches.
Wear this backpack on the front or the back to give your cat different scenery options. This bag is made from breathable fabric and even has large ventilation holes on the sides for air circulation. This roomy capsule can fit cats up to 14 pounds but is also lightweight—so both of you can enjoy the journey. Dimensions: 12.6 x 11.42 x 16.54 inches.Buy on Amazon
Want the option of rolling your pet around? This carrier is the one for you, since it features wheels and a telescoping handle. The bag can also expand for additional room and has pockets for extra items. Best of all, it has a tether inside to prevent your cat’s great escape. This roller backpack comes in four different models to suit both your and your kitty’s needs. Dimensions: 14 x 9 x 19 inches.
The best part of this bag is the peephole, complete with a drawstring opening that allows your kitty to enjoy some fresh air while also keeping them secure (plus an interior leash and clip to help with this). Padded back and sides keep the bag comfy to carry, while an extra waist strap helps distribute weight. A bonus is that this pack is also made to be worn on the front of the body—so you can talk with your cat while you stroll. Dimensions: 11.0 x 7.4 x 15.5 inches.Buy on Amazon
- The “Fat Cat” Backpack Is Our New Favorite Way To Travel With a Cat
- The 10 Best Kitten Carriers for Style and Safety
- How to Travel with a Cat (As Painlessly as Possible)