Maybe. While syrup is not toxic, it has a high sugar content that’s not recommended for your dog. Be sure to check syrup ingredients and avoid any products that contain xylitol. This additive is toxic to dogs and can lead to hypoglycemia, liver failure, and even death. Dogs that eat sugar on a regular basis can become obese or develop diabetes.
Symptoms to Watch For
If your dog has consumed a syrup with xylitol, watch for these symptoms:
- Seizures or tremors
- Fast heart rate
For More Information
We’ve got tons of articles about which foods are safe or dangerous for your dog, from common snacks to fruits. You might also be interested in “Can My Dog Eat Sugar?”
The information provided in this article is not a substitute for professional veterinary help.