Dogs should never eat mushrooms if they’re found in the wild.
While not all mushrooms are poisonous to dogs, the ones that are present a very scary risk. You should never let your dog eat a wild mushroom. Death Cap mushrooms are common up and down the American West Coast, for instance, and can cause death in dogs who ingest them. Other wild mushrooms can cause varying levels of damage to a dog’s system. If you suspect your dog has eaten a wild mushroom, call the vet immediately
Mushrooms purchased from a grocery store and known to be safe for human consumption are considered non-toxic and may be okay for your dog to eat in small quantities.
Why Wild Mushrooms are Unsafe for Dogs
There are thousands of mushroom types in the world, but only about 100 of them are poisonous to dogs, according to an article by Dr. Justine A. Lee, DVM, DACVECC. That number might not sound very high, but one reason wild mushrooms are so unsafe is that it’s very hard to properly identify mushrooms. In fact, only a mycologist (fungus expert) should be trusted to safely ID wild mushrooms.
Unfortunately, one of the most toxic mushrooms is very common in the United States. Death Cap mushrooms are the number one cause of fatal mushroom poisonings worldwide, and they grow in shady coastal regions all along the west coast of America.
Because it’s so difficult to properly identify wild mushrooms, it’s important to prevent your dog from eating mushrooms they find on the ground. The good news is, many dogs aren’t interested in mushrooms because they aren’t very appetizing. However, if you have a dog that tends to put everything in its mouth, it’s especially important to keep an eye on them in mu7shroom-rich areas.
Symptoms of Mushroom Poisoning to Watch For
If your dog ingests a wild mushroom, call the vet right away. Unless you have expert knowledge that the mushroom is nontoxic, it’s much better to be safe than sorry. The vet will likely induce vomiting to ensure your dog doesn’t absorb the mushroom.
If your dog demonstrates any of these symptoms, go to the emergency vet right away:
Are There any Mushrooms Dogs Can Eat?
It’s scary to consider the possibility of your dog accidentally eating a toxic mushroom. However, commercially-available mushrooms are not dangerous. As long as your dog doesn’t have any allergies to them, button mushrooms sold at the grocery store are perfectly safe for them to eat.
That said, the truth is, most dogs aren’t interested in mushrooms. And dogs do not need mushrooms in their diet. So, instead of giving your dog a fungus treat, try offering them a baby carrot or slice of apple. There are plenty of safe snacks you can share with your dog.
For More Information
We’ve got tons of articles about which foods are safe or dangerous for your dog, from common snacks to fruits. You might also be interested in Can My Dog Eat Celery?
The information provided in this article is not a substitute for professional veterinary help.