- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
Wait: Dehydrated watermelon? It may sound like an oxymoron, but it’s actually the tastiest way to capture summertime for a rainy day. And with just one ingredient, it couldn’t be simpler, healthier, or easier.
Also, dehydrated watermelon is so tasty you might forget you made it for your dog. Just think of it as a combination of Bubble Yum and sunshine and sweet summertime goodness.
Watermelon Jerky for Dogs
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 hours
- Total Time: 18 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups
- Category: Healthy snacking
- Half of a watermelon
- Food dehydrator (we used the Nesco Snackmaster)
- Optional: Parchment paper or fruit leather tray inserts.
- Wash your watermelon prior to slicing.
- Cut watermelon in half and set aside one half for a different delicious recipe.
- Slice watermelon into 1/4 inch thick spears. If you slice the watermelon too thin the pieces will be hard to remove and stick to your trays.
- Remove as many watermelon seeds as you can. A few here and there will be fine for medium and large sized dogs.
- Line your trays with parchment paper or use fruit leather inserts for ease of cleanup and to make jerky removal simpler. Or you can live on the edge like us.
- Arrange watermelon pieces on trays. Be sure to leave breathing space around each slice to ensure even drying.
- Depending on the humidity in your climate, the watermelon will take 18-24 hours to finish. Check it’s progress at 12 hours.
- Allow to cool, then store in airtight container.
Sweet and tasty with just enough chewiness.