If you’re looking to take your favorite pooch out for some off-leash play and socialization, check out Omaha’s many dog-friendly spots! We’ve rounded up this list of the best options for you and your four-legged friends, including Omaha’s quiet dog parks and larger recreational areas.
Omaha can be a dog-loving town. If you’re looking to dine, check out the many dog-friendly restaurants and bars. In 2020, keep an eye out for the Omaha Dog Bar. In the summer, check out the many pup patio pub crawls. During October, there’s a dog costume party called Growl-O-Ween.
However, if you’re visiting Omaha with your dog, be aware that the city has some breed restrictions, including many bully breeds. The restrictions require that dogs of specific breeds be muzzled in public spaces, among other regulations.
For more on Omaha’s many dog-friendly spaces, click on the map below for more info, and scroll down for photos of each park.
Top 6 Dog Parks in Omaha
- Chalco Hills Recreation Area
- Hefflinger Dog Park
- Hanscom Dog Park
- Walnut Creek Lake & Recreation
- Standing Bear Lake
- Walnut Grove Park
1. Chalco Hills Recreation Area
8901 S 154th St, Omaha, NE 68138
- Beautiful, scenic recreational area along a reservoir with roaming wildlife
- Fenced dog exercise area near main entrance
- Trails for walking your dog leashed
- Depending on the season, be sure to check for ticks or prepare for mud
- Bathrooms available but not always clean or stocked with toilet paper
2. Hefflinger Dog Park
Old Maple Rd & N 112th Ave, Omaha, NE 68164
- Omaha’s first official dog park
- 7-acres of enclosed, simple grassy play space for dogs
- Separate area for small dogs
- Poop bags available
- Depending on the season, prepare for mud
3. Hanscom Dog Park
3201 Woolworth Ave, Omaha, NE 68105
- Fenced, shaded play space for dogs
- Separate area for smaller dogs
- Picnic tables for people, playground and zero-depth pool for kids
- Bathrooms available but they are often in need of a cleaning
- Users caution to lock cars and take valuables with you
4. Walnut Creek Lake & Recreation Area
11601 S 96th St, Papillion, NE 68046
- Beautiful recreational area about 12 miles outside of Omaha
- Area along the shore for dogs to play and swim
- Fenced area on three sides, but the water side is not fenced
- Dogs should have good vocal recall to play here
- Bathrooms available, but not running water
- Bring a towel
- Plan to carry out your own trash
5. Standing Bear Lake
473 Watchung Ave, Bloomfield, NJ 07003
- Clean park on 135-acre lake
- Space for dogs to run and swim
- Limited port-a-potty available
- On-leash walking path around the lake’s perimeter
6. Walnut Grove Park
15050 Q St, Omaha, NE 68137
- Open, grassy park with plenty of shade
- No specific contained area for dogs, but the park is dog-friendly
- Peaceful stream running through the park
- Picnic tables and benches available
- No restroom facilities
We hope you’re able to check and enjoy all of Omaha’s best parks for your dog.
If you have some time after a day at the park, maybe grab some food or a drink at a place that welcomes your pup. And remember, if you’re visiting, be sure to check out the city’s breed restrictions that may affect you and your dog’s travels.
And if you need a hand exercising your dog in Omaha, rest easy knowing that you can easily hire a local dog walker who will be happy to show your pup around.