- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
Every day is a good day to get out and play fetch with your dog. Not only is it a fantastic way to use up your pup’s seemingly endless energy, but it can also help build a bond between you and your furry friend. Whether your pup is a fetching pro or a novice retriever, there are a lot of great dog fetch toys out there to keep them interested—from ball throwers and rubber discs to bouncy balls and even squeaky toys.
But how do you know how to pick which toy will bring out the best in your faithful, ball-retrieving companion? A good place to start is by noticing which types of toys your dog is most interested in and how they like to play with them. It might also be worth testing out a few at a time to see which one gets your pup up and running.
To help you out, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite dog fetch toys below, so you can find one that best suits your pup’s play style and speed.
- Best Launcher: Chuckit! Classic Ball Launcher
- Best Novel Fetch Toy: Nerf Dog Tennis Ball Stomper
- Best Rubber Fetch Toy: Kong Classic Flyer
- Best Fetch Stick: West Paw Echo Collection Zwig
- Best Squeaky Fetch Toy: Chiwava Standing Animal Sticks
- Best Rope Fetch Toy: Mammoth Rope Dog Toy
- Best for Chewers: Petstages Orka Flyer
- Best for Indoor Fetch: Chuckit! Indoor Ball Dog Toy
- Best for Nighttime Fetch: Chew King Glowing Fetch Balls
- Best All-Weather: Hyper Pet Flippy Flopper Dog Frisbee
- Best for Water Play: Kurgo Skipping Stones
- Best Bumper Fetch Toy: Chuckit! Amphibious Bumper Toy
- Best for Puppies: West Paw Zogoflex Tizzi
- Best for Senior Dogs: JW Pet Hol-ee Giggler
- Best All-Purpose: Chuckit! Flying Squirrel
Best Launcher: Chuckit! Classic Ball Launcher
One of the most popular brand names for dog fetch toys, Chuckit! makes our list multiple times. A classic, this highly-rated ball launcher sends tennis balls flying two to three times farther than you could throw on your own—great for retrieving pups who love to go the extra distance.
One brightly colored ball is included, although the launcher is compatible with standard-size tennis balls should you need replacements. Made from durable plastic, it comes in several sizes—choose longer lengths for more distance or a compact size for travel. And best of all? Scooping the ball up with the launcher is a cinch—no bending over, and no handling dog slobber.
- Ergonomic handle for easy throwing and picking up
- Ideal for medium to large breeds who like to sprint
- Compatible with standard-sized tennis balls
Best Novel Fetch Toy: Nerf Dog Toys Tennis Ball Stomper (Verified Review)
This toy offers a slightly different take on dog fetch machines. Made of durable rubber, this toy stays true to its name, sending the ball into the air when you stomp the top with your foot. How far you catapult the ball is up to you. But our testing found that you needed to hit it pretty hard to get the ball to launch very far (about up to 10 feet).
Still, this novel toy can be fun for dogs who want something different, kids, and pet parents who would rather use leg power than upper body strength during a round of fetch.
- Interactive squeak noise and durable rubber exterior
- Manually load the ball one at a time
- Fun foot-powered design
- Great for indoor use
Best Rubber Fetch Toy: KONG Classic Flyer Dog Toy
If your dog loves fetching frisbees, this rubber KONG Flyer offers a gentler and safer option than traditional discs, helping to protect your pup’s teeth and gums. Soaring easily through the air, this disc not only gives your dog time to catch up to it but also delivers a bouncy rebound if they happen to miss the toss.
Pet parents like the durability and the soft catch that the rubber toy provides. Reviewers do note, however, that the flyer is not meant to be used as a chew toy, so you’ll want to keep it safely stored away when not playing with your pup.
- Made from KONG’s durable plastic rubber
- Provides a soft catch that’s gentle on teeth and gums
- Comes in two sizes: small and large
Best Fetch Stick: West Paw Echo Collection Zwig
There’s nothing more compatible than a dog and a stick. But wooden twigs and branches aren’t the safest for fetch since they can splinter and puncture your pup’s mouth. That’s where the West Paw Zwig can help.
This uniquely shaped fetch toy has a fun twisty texture that gently bends and a hollow center that floats on water. Measuring almost 14 inches in length, this stick toy creates plenty of space between hands and jaws, allowing for a safe game of tug.
- A safer alternative for pups who love to fetch sticks
- The buoyant design doubles as a water toy
- The 13.75-inch length makes for a safe distance between hands and jaws
- Dishwasher safe
Best Squeaky Fetch Toy: Chiwava Three-Pack Squeaky Standing Stick Animal Dog Toys
Sure, toy sticks are great for tossing, but if your pup is a sucker for a squeaker, these animal dog toys can elevate their fetch experience. A chicken, pig, and frog make up the trio—all made from lightweight rubber that’s easy to throw (not suitable as a chew toy, though). Dogs love the loud squeak and bounce these toys provide, while pet parents appreciate that the bright colors make them easy to find.
- Includes three rubber stick animals
- Squeaky toys with no stuffing
- Lightweight and easy to toss
- Can be used indoors and outdoors
Best Rope Fetch Toy: Mammoth Flossy Chews Rope Dog Toy (Verified Review)
Get ready to toss and tug with this durable rope fetch toy. As a well-known name in the pet market, Mammoth offers some of the highest-quality dog rope toys at affordable prices. We’ve tested them ourselves and like that the ropes come in a variety of sizes to suit different breeds, from pint-sized Terriers to giant Mastiffs.
Big beefy knots offer a satisfying chew, while the longer length of the ropes provides plenty of space between hands and chompers. Keep in mind, however, the larger and longer you size up, the heavier these ropes are to toss.
- Quality rope toy at a great price point
- Offers a variety of sizes for small to extra-large breeds
- Lengths vary from 10 inches to 72 inches
- Knots range from two to five
Best for Chewers: Petstages Orka Flyer
Made with strong but flexible rubber, this frisbee has raised ribs and textures that feel nice to chew while still being gentle on a pup’s teeth and gums. A thick rim around the sides makes it easy to grip while withstanding a strong bite. Pet parents like the value this dog fetch toy provides, blending durable and high-quality material with a great price point. If you have a power chewer on your hand, however, you may want to level up and find a fetch toy that’s a little more indestructible.
- Strong but flexible rubber withstands a tough bite
- Durable textured surface gently massages your dog’s gums
- Easy to clean with soap and water
Best for Indoor Fetch: Chuckit! Indoor Ball Dog Toy (Verified Review)
When you can’t make it outside, this indoor ball makes it possible to still play a game of fetch. The lightweight design protects indoor surfaces while still having the characteristic bounce that drives dogs wild. In fact, our tester found the ball did an excellent job of not marking up their walls. They also liked that the ball, measuring slightly larger than a softball, was big enough for two dogs to play tug between fetch sessions.
Designed with textured chenille fabric, this soft indoor ball is easy to pick up and gentle on small mouths, making it a great pick for small dogs and puppies. Keep in mind, however, that it isn’t the most durable choice for super chewers.
- Plush exterior minimizes damage to furniture and walls
- Fun texture for dogs to carry and fetch
- Softball size makes it large enough for a game of tug
- Rolls and bounces for fun play
Best for Nighttime Fetch: Chew King Glowing Fetch Balls
Do you have a night owl—er, night dog? These glow-in-the-dark balls are perfect for a game of nighttime fetch. During the day they appear white, but at night, they glow neon green, making them easy to spot in low-light conditions. To activate the glow, simply charge them beforehand under any natural or artificial bright light—like a lightbulb or even the flashlight on your phone.
Available in packs of two, four, or eight, these balls come in a range of sizes, varying from 2.5 to 4.5 inches.
- Glows in the dark for nighttime fetch
- Charged by natural or artificial light
- Features safety air vents so your pup’s tongue won’t get stuck
- Rubber is both pet-safe and dishwasher-safe
Best All-Weather: Hyper Pet Flippy Flopper Dog Frisbee
Enjoy a high-flying game of fetch with your dog in all types of weather—including snow—with this durable all-season floppy disc. Available in a variety of bright colors for easy visibility, this toy is made from lightweight material that flies through the air and floats on water.
Pet parents like that the multi-layer nylon material is soft on their dog’s teeth, but still firm enough to hang in the air nicely. They do point out, however, that this flyer should only be used for fetch and not as a chew toy.
- Made for water, grass, and snow
- Soft on dog’s teeth but firm enough for air time
- Lightweight and floats in water
- Bright colors make for easy visibility
Best for Water Play: Kurgo Skipping Stones
For dogs who love a good game of fetch in the water, these rubber skipping stones are made to bounce along the water’s surface, just like real skipping rocks—except they stay afloat! Earning high marks for their durability and buoyancy, these toys come in bright colors that are easy to spot in the water. Weighing less than a pound, the skipping stones are lightweight and easy to pack for trips to the beach, lake, or river.
Each stone comes in a different shape and size that’s similar to standard tennis balls. Just make sure to keep a watchful eye, especially for larger dogs, to avoid any risk of choking.
- Skips and floats on the water
- Lightweight and great for travel
- Made from non-toxic rubber, dishwasher safe
- Each stone varies in size and shape
Best Bumper Fetch Toy: Chuckit! Amphibious Bumper Fetch and Float Toy (Verified Review)
If your pup is an aspiring dock diver or just likes to make a splash in the water, this Chuckit! bumper offers a nice option for smaller pups and those not quite ready for the longer official diving sticks. The non-slip, knotted rope provides grippy leverage so you can throw it far, while the memory foam material offers great buoyancy.
Our Rover test pup Roo found the foam material super exciting to grab in a game of fetch both in and out of the water. We did find, however, that it started to come apart at the edges after a week of hard play and Roo’s shark-like chompers.
- Great bumper for novice divers and small pups
- Versatile: can be used on both land and water
- Memory foam material provides a nice buoyancy
- Knotted rope offers non-slip leverage for tossing
Best for Puppies: West Paw Zogoflex Tizzi
Introducing toys with different textures and shapes for various types of play is an important part of puppy socialization. And this option by West Paw packs a punch in its small size, offering a unique two-handled design that can be twisted together for fetch or locked for a game of tug.
It’s also great for chewing, water play, and brain games with a secret treat compartment stashed inside its body. Plus, it’s 100% recyclable, dishwasher-safe, and non-toxic.
- Offers unique design that can be twisted or unlocked
- Choose from two sizes and three colors
- Serves as a chew, fetch, water, and puzzle toy
- Dishwasher safe
Best for Senior Dogs: JW Pet Hol-ee Giggler Dog Toy
This JW Pet Hol-ee ball has a soft, bendy texture that’s gentle on weaker teeth and sensitive gums. The fun giggly sound also helps senior dogs with poor eyesight locate the ball, and the soft rubber is great for a slower-paced game of fetch indoors.
Hide some treats in the middle to add an interactive element and keep your senior pup’s brain sharp—older dogs can absolutely learn a few new tricks and have fun in the process!
- Soft bendy texture is gentle on sensitive teeth
- Giggly noise makes it easy to locate
- Can be played indoors for a slower-paced game
- Holes in the middle are great for hiding treats
Best All-Purpose: Chuckit! Flying Squirrel
Adding a whole new dimension to a standard Frisbee, this Chuckit! flyer offers a versatile toy that can be used in a wide range of fetch situations. The aerodynamic shape ensures a solid medium-range throw, while the rounded corners make it easy for your pup to pick up from the ground. Available in three sizes, this dog fetch toy floats in the water and has glow-in-the-dark edges for nighttime play.
Like other Frisbees on our list, it’s not meant to be a chew toy, so you’ll want to keep it out of your dog’s reach between fetch sessions.
- Spinning design for mid-range throws
- Rounded corners make it easy to pick up
- Edges glow in the dark for nighttime fetch
- Floats for water play
How We Chose
The dog fetch toys featured here were selected based on a combination of our own hands-on testing and a comprehensive look at customer reviews across a wide variety of retail platforms. We prioritized toys suited to a range of environments, from indoors to out, wet to dry.
We also selected toys noted for their durability, suitability for dog mouths, and ergonomic design for easy human throwing. We’re guided by the experience of living and playing alongside our own much-loved and strongly opinionated pups, who are never stingy with their feedback.