Table of Contents
- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
Cute dog costumes are easy to find. Who doesn’t like the idea of a dog dressed as a fairy, ladybug, or strawberry? Some of us, however, don’t have a dog that does cute. They’re the canine ghouls and goblins of Halloween, and who are we to stifle their need to terrorize the neighborhood? Lucky for us, there are plenty of scary dog costumes out there for Halloween.
Note: When shopping for a Halloween costume for your dog, the most important consideration is size. Because dog costumes are not all manufactured in the same way, your pet could be a medium in one costume and an extra-large in another, so be sure to measure your dog and use your pet’s measurements and the product size chart to guide you to their best fit.
12 Scary Dog Costumes for Halloween
Read on to get inspired, and help your dog be the scary (cuddle) monster you know they can be.
Verified Rover Pick: Tarantula Scary Dog Costume
Inspired by the infamous viral video a few years ago, dressing your dog up as a scary spider remains a popular choice. This creepy-crawly option comes in multiple sizes, from small to large; we tried size medium on a number of office dogs, including Dosha the Beagle and Shirley the Pug.
While neither pup was overly enthusiastic to show off the outfit, the costume itself was easy to put on via two front leg sleeves and a simple velcro waistband. The fit was very good; not too tight to constrict movement or cut off circulation anywhere, and it stayed on both dogs securely. So for beagles, pugs, and other small-medium dog breeds, the costume in medium runs true to size. (To coin an oft-used fashion phrase, they both wore it well!)
The tarantula was also one of the better-designed options we’ve encountered in the world of dog costumes, with an easy to wear, one-piece design made of a plush polyester and realistic-looking spidery details that weren’t too heavy or overly-complicated. Squeezable plush legs with an inner wire can be bent and shaped into the perfect creeping spider silhouette, and further details such as spider “hair” and a hood with fangs help complete the look.
So, even if puppers might feel lukewarm about this outfit, you can feel good its uncomplicated design won’t hurt or overly stress your dog—and will no doubt delight your family and guests.Shop on Amazon
As long as we’re looking at creepy-crawlies, check out this menacing scorpion costume for dogs. It’s perfect for desert dwellers and entomologists alike and is sure to make at least one person jump when your dog comes into the room.
- Sectioned plush body with pinchers and spiked tail for a realistic scorpion look
- Velcro neck and belly straps for a secure fit
- Reviewers note it runs a bit small, so check measurements before you order
Dress your dog up like one of the scariest slashers in horror films with this creepily accurate Freddy Krueger costume. The striped sweater, brown hat, and dog-safe “razor” (fabric) cuff will have you screaming in terror…or delight.
- Officially licensed Nightmare on Elm Street costume
- Sweater is a bit stretchy to accommodate a dog tummy
- Some reviewers said their dog didn’t like the cuff, but the costume works without it
If your alliances swing more Voorhies than Krueger, don’t pass up this Jason costume for dogs. The costume comes complete with a hockey mask and jersey with Jason’s name on the back. All you need to add is an axe.
- Lightweight mesh hockey jersey stays on with Velcro
- Mask is made from soft foam
- Option (per a few reviewers) to tie the mask to the dog’s collar rather than use the elastic strap
If you’re going scary, why not go classic? This skeleton hoodie shows off the spooky stuff on your dog’s insides, and kicks it up a notch with glow-in-the-dark bones and a sinister smiling skull. Best of all, it’s super comfy cotton-blend for your dog, and easy to put on and take off.
- “Charge” costume under a light before placing on your dog for extra glowing power
- Soft cotton-blend shirt is machine washable
- Some reviewers note that the hat doesn’t stay on, but it doesn’t really matter because the shirt is so cute
Staying in the realm of old fashioned scary stuff, this white t-shirt with a ghostly face hearkens back to Halloween’s past. The ribbed sleeves, neck, and waistband help keep this dog shirt in place, while the white material keeps your pet visible in dim light.
- Shirt can be machine-washed; just toss it in the gentle cycle
- Sized for extra-small breed dogs
- Use fabric markers or paint to add custom features
Eek! A monster! Have no fear, this furry blue scary dog costume will have you screaming with delight. It includes a furry head collar and two matching leg fluffies. Your dog will have to provide their own ferocious roar. Some reviewers note the fur sheds.
- Velcro helps pieces stay on
- Best for dogs with more narrow heads
An easy costume for a dog that doesn’t feel like wearing much more than a harness, this bat costume says “terror of the night” while still being comfortable. Check the seller’s sizing notes to ensure a good fit for your dog or cat.
- Black felt material is lightweight
- Fastens with Velcro at the neck and chest
- Spruce up your dog’s wings with glitter paint or blood-red lines for extra horror!
We can’t include a Halloween bat without a Dracula! Transform your bat dog into a very fearsome vampire with this black and red cloak. It’s a one-piece scary dog costume that won’t drag your dog down as they mysteriously disappear and reappear on Halloween night. The extended collar can stand up straight for an authentic Dracula look or fold down for comfort.
- Easy to put on and take off
- Built-in fuzzy fastener band keeps the cape in place
- Comes in dog and cat sizes
10. Axe Headpiece
Add some creepiness to your dog’s Halloween look with this funny, scary headpiece. The lightweight fabric construction makes it comfortable for your dog. It’s a great costume for pups who won’t wear clothes but will happily prance around with a hat on.
- Designed with elastic straps and adjustable toggle
- Quick and easy to get on your dog
- Comes in three sizes to better fit a range of dog breeds
Come on. Clowns are scary. This horrifying costume comes with a colorful ruffled collar and spooky, pointed hat that stays on with elastic (some reviewers note that the hat didn’t stay on their dog long). Giant clown shoes and unsettling laugh not included.
- Collar slides on and off easily
- One size fits most dogs
- We all agree clowns are terrifying, right?
OK, now this clown I think we can all agree is very, very scary. It’s Pennywise from Steven King’s It, and it’s a truly unsettling Halloween look for your dog. This scary dog costume covers the front half of your dog’s body and makes them look like a tall-walking, sadistic clown. Yikes.
- Attached arms, a plush red balloon and wig cap included
- Officially licensed Warner Bros. It movie product
- Step-in shirt is easy to put on and off your dog
- Seriously though. Clowns. Shudder.
And If All Else Fails…
View this post on Instagram
1: What kind of frog is this? 2: life, uh, finds a way 3: it’s evolution, baby #dogsofinstagram #dogmemes #dogcostumes #dogcostumesofinstagram #angrydog #wilddoggo #doggo #doggomemes #whatkindofdogisthat #frogcostume #jurassicpark #jurassicparkquotes #lifefindsaway #ianmalcom #jeffgoldblum #evolution #dotheevolution #pearljam #pearljamlyrics
Scary dog costumes don’t always have to be intentionally scary—as you can see. You can always dress your dog up as something cute and let their spooky side come out on its own.