- This review contains affiliate links. Read more here.
- Not a substitute for professional veterinary help.
Grooming your dog isn’t just about cleanliness. It’s also a way to spend quality time with your dog, to keep them healthy, and to make them feel loved. But if your dog has sensitive skin, finding the right shampoo can be tricky! The last thing you want is to cause itching, hot spots, or other irritation. Fortunately, an increasing number of brands offer gentle dog shampoos for sensitive skin.
Vet’s Best Hypo-Allergenic Dog Shampoo for Sensitive Skin
This hypoallergenic shampoo moisturizes with vitamin E and aloe vera.
We’ve scoured online reviews to find the best-rated, most popular dog shampoos for sensitive skin.
Note: if your dog is extra-sensitive or has allergies, it’s best to consult your vet before introducing new products into your grooming routine.
Best Dog Shampoos for Sensitive Skin
This ultra-gentle, hypoallergenic dog shampoo uses natural ingredients like aloe vera and vitamin E to cleanse and moisturize sensitive skin.
It’s a safe shampoo for dogs with seasonal allergies and hot spots. Reviewers say this shampoo is gentle enough for frequent baths and helps soothe itchy skin.
- “Tearless” formula won’t irritate dogs’ eyes
- Soapless formula works into a lather
- Will not affect topical flea and tick products
Vet’s Best Hypo-Allergenic Dog Shampoo for Sensitive Skin
This hypoallergenic shampoo moisturizes with vitamin E and aloe vera.
This all-natural dog shampoo is made with bentonite clay, known for its soothing and healing abilities. It also contains neem and argan oils, making it ultra-gentle and calming on itchy dog skin.
Some reviewers even claim the all-natural herbal formula is good for repelling fleas and ticks (though we recommend using it alongside flea and tick preventatives, especially in the bug-filled summer season).
- Concentrated formula means a little bit goes a long way
- 100% natural and organic formula is earth-friendly and dog-friendly
- Recommended for dogs with sensitive skin
- Reviewers are split on the smell—some like it, some don’t. You’ll have to decide for yourself!
Fieldworks Moosh Natural Dog Shampoo
This organic shampoo is made with soothing bentonite clay and neem and argan oils.
This shampoo is great for dogs who are irritated by harsher cleansers. It’s made from all-natural, vegan ingredients to clean and protect your dog’s coat and skin.
In fact, vegan dog owners especially love this shampoo because the company is serious about vegan principles. The nourishing shampoo formula has soothing oatmeal and natural aloe vera that hydrate, heal, and protect your pup’s coat.
- Soapless formula won’t inflame or irritate dogs’ eyes or nose
- All-natural ingredients soothe hot spots and soften the coat
- Helps detangle matted fur
Paws & Pals Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
Vegan and tear-free, this shampoo is made with oatmeal, aloe vera, and shea butter.
John Paul Pet products were created by the co-founder and CEO of the Paul Mitchell brand for people, and the line’s pet shampoos use the same all-natural botanical extracts as their pet parent shampoos.
In fact, their pet products are tested on humans first, and then they’re pH balanced for pets. That means they’re ultra-safe and high-quality. This Australian tea tree and eucalyptus oil pet shampoo is formulated to cleanse, soothe, and moisturize, reducing skin irritations and helping to heal.
- Tea tree leaf oil and eucalyptus are natural antiseptics, helping to soothe and prevent irritation
- Almond oil and chamomile soothe irritation, and aloe vera replenishes moisture
- Reviewers love the gentle botanical scent
John Paul Pet Australian Tea Tree and Eucalyptus Oil Shampoo for Dogs
This soothing shampoo is pH balanced for pets; created by the CEO of the Paul Mitchell haircare line.
Why might you choose a shampoo bar instead of a shampoo bottle? For one thing, bar shampoo makes it easy to reach every spot on your dog: just use the bar to create a thick lather all over.
This shampoo bar for dogs with sensitive skin is made with naturally-healing bentonite clay, plus neem oil to treat skin irritation, and shea butter and coconut oil to moisturize. Your pup will be left with clean fur and calm skin. Plus, they’ll smell nice, too!
- In addition to being dog-safe, this shampoo is earth-friendly and cruelty-free
- The formula is OK for lakes and streams, so you can bathe your dog outside
- Made in small batches in the U.S.
Grrr Dog Shampoo Bar
Made for sensitive skin, this Fieldworks shampoo comes in a bar form and works up a thick lather.
This ultra-gentle shampoo is like the baby shampoo of dog cleansers! It has rosemary extract to protect skin, and aloe vera and chamomile to soothe and moisturize.
All those herbal ingredients make for a delicate scent that will please you without irritating your dog. Fans of this shampoo say it lathers up nicely and is safe for even the most sensitive dogs.
- Oat extract, olive oil and shea butter help moisturize
- Contains rosemary to stimulate follicle growth, great for pups with patchy coats
- Contains no drying alcohol, dyes or parabens
Rocco & Roxie Supply Co. Soothe Dog Shampoo
Ultra-gentle shampoo made with plenty of skin-calming and moisturizing ingredients.
This shampoo for dogs with sensitive skin is pH balanced and free from soap and parabens. That means it’s gentle on your dog’s coat and skin and will leave them clean without irritation. Underwater Dogs also makes a conditioner for extra moisturizing.
- Deodorizing vanilla coconut scent is pleasing to humans and non-irritating to dogs
- Naturally moisturizing formula helps condition dry and itchy skin
- Soap-free and pH balanced to soften and shine your pup’s coat without irritation
Underwater Dogs Soap Free Dog Shampoo
Soap-free for sensitive skin, this shampoo has a pleasing vanilla coconut scent.
Who says dog shampoo has to come in a bottle? This bar shampoo is made with 100% natural ingredients like neem and manuka oils for moisture, and tea tree essential oil for healing and soothing.
It’s specifically formulated for dry, itchy, or sensitive skin. Each bar is equivalent to 20 ounces of liquid shampoo, making it a great value. Plus, the bar shape and plastic-free packaging is extra earth-friendly.
- Bar soap application makes it easy to apply to the underside of your dog
- Natural “anti-itch” formula is suitable for use on dogs with skin conditions
- Reviewers love the gentle scent
WashBar Natural Dog Shampoo Bar
The moisturizing, anti-itch formula bar shampoo is a great value.
Virbac creates veterinarian-strength shampoos to treat a variety of skin types. This formula has oatmeal to soothe irritated skin. In fact, many online reviewers say their vet recommended it to them.
You may be able to find it at your vet’s office, but it tends to be cheaper online!
- “Slow-release” formula means it keeps soothing your dog’s coat even after the shampoo is rinsed off
- Contains oatmeal for soothing and cleansing dry, itchy skin
- Emollient formula softens the coat and moisturizes skin
Virbac Epi-Soothe Shampoo
This soothing oatmeal shampoo is veterinarian-strength and keeps working after it’s rinsed off.
This gentle, hypoallergenic shampoo is great for sensitive, dry skin and coats.
Colloidal oatmeal and aloe vera are veterinarian-recommended ingredients used to treat skin irritation and promote healing. And this luxurious, scent-free formula leaves your dog clean and soft, but not perfumed.
- Safe for all animals over six weeks old
- All-natural, soap-free, and pH-balanced
- Cleansing and deodorizing dog shampoo will not wash off topical flea treatments
Earthbath Oatmeal and Aloe Hypo-Allergenic Dog Shampoo
This natural shampoo is unscented and hypoallergenic.
Frequent water bathing can be hard on sensitive dog skin, but dry shampoo is here to help!
Wahl’s no-rinse waterless shampoo is chemical-free and has natural plant-based cleansers. Just brush it through your pet’s coat and let the gentle lavender chamomile fragrance soothe you and your pup.
- Alcohol-free and paraben-free
- Plant-based cleansers are safe and gentle
- Like a shampoo and dog conditioner in one, with guar conditioner that moisturizes pet hair by sealing in natural sugars and proteins
Wahl Pet-Friendly No-Rinse Waterless Shampoo
Skip the water with this lavender chamomile shampoo made from plant-based cleansers.
Dermagic specializes in all-natural grooming products for pets with sensitive skin. The bar soothes dog skin with a blend of cocoa butter and essential oils. With naturally anti-inflammatory, antibacterial rosemary, this bar shampoo calms skin and gently cleanses. It’s totally free from toxins, preservatives, chemicals, sulfates, and irritants. And reviewers love the smell!
- Naturally deodorizing to keep your pooch smelling fresh
- Solid formula is easy to store and take on the go
- Dermagic makes several other formulas to treat all manner of skin conditions and coat types
Dermagic Sensitive Skin Dog Shampoo Bar
Handmade in the U.S. from organic ingredients.
Made from human-grade, natural ingredients, this hypoallergenic pet wash is totally organic. It contains a holistic essential oil blend to gently cleanse your dog without stripping the natural oils from their coat.
It’s also biodegradable, cruelty-free, vegan, and eco-friendly. In fact, you could use this pet shampoo on your own hair…but it’s tailor-made for your dog.
- Aloe and lemongrass formula naturally soothes sensitive skin and deters fleas
- Detergent-free, paraben-free, sulfate-free, and non-toxic
- Concentrated formula is easy to lather and rinse
4-Legger Certified Organic Dog Shampoo
Organic and hypoallergenic, this shampoo is also eco-friendly.
This natural dog shampoo has a gentle formula containing, you guessed it, oatmeal and aloe vera to help soothe, moisturize, condition and calm sensitive skin.
It’s safe to use on puppies and adult dogs, and gently conditions and detangles as it cleanses. Best of all, it contains no alcohol or animal byproducts and is paraben and cruelty-free.
- No added colors or dyes
- Moisture-rich shea butter helps condition and shine up dogs’ coats
- Easy-pour system makes it easy to dispense a little at a time, and a little goes a long way
- Clean-rinsing so your pooch won’t have any residue hanging around
Fifi & Fido Natural Pet Shampoo
A little goes a long way with this natural shampoo that’s also cruelty-free.
This moisturizing, deodorizing dog shampoo ticks all the boxes for dogs with sensitive skin: it’s vitamin-enriched, alcohol-free, and has baking soda to deodorize stinky coats and treat dandruff and dander.
The plant-based formula also has coconut for moisture, vitamins A, D, and E for nutrients, and fruit extracts to cool and calm inflamed skin.
- Specifically formulated for sensitive dog skin
- Totally non-toxic, with no parabens or alcohol
- Light apple scent neutralizes odors
Bodhi Dog Oatmeal Dog Shampoo and Conditioner
Formulated for sensitive skin, this shampoo is made with oatmeal, aloe vera, and baking soda.
Burt’s Bees Natural Pet Care products are made with the same care and quality ingredients as their human products. Their hypoallergenic shampoo for dogs is made with shea butter and honey for extra moisture and shine.
It naturally and gently cleanses, and with no artificial fragrances, it leaves your pooch smelling clean but not perfumed.
- Light lather might not get foamy, but rest assured, it’s gently cleansing your dog’s coat
- Mild and pH balanced, so it’s suitable for all dogs, from puppy to senior
- Free from fragrances, sulfates, colorants, and harsh chemicals
Burt’s Bees for Dogs Hypoallergenic Shampoo
This gentle hypoallergenic shampoo comes from a favorite pet parent brand.
This ultra-premium doggy shampoo has “colloidal oatmeal,” or oatmeal that has been ground up and mixed with water, making it easier to spread and absorb into skin.
Remember taking oatmeal baths when you had chickenpox as a kid? This lavender oatmeal pet shampoo has similarly soothing qualities, cleansing your dog with a gentle, mild lather that calms sensitive skin.
- Designed to be soothing for your dog’s flaky, dry skin
- Lavender essential oil is calming and comforting
- Pure, high-quality ingredients are dog safe and earth-friendly
Honeydew Lavender Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
Calm doggy’s sensitive skin with lavender and colloidal oatmeal.
Nature’s Miracle is perhaps best known for its deodorizing cleaners used to get rid of pet pee smells. Turns out, their dog shampoo is equally good at removing odors from sensitive dog coats using natural and pet-safe ingredients. This four-in-one combination dog shampoo and conditioner neutralizes odors, deodorizes, freshens, and cleans your dog’s skin and coat. The oatmeal formula soothes and hydrates skin, while the light honey and sage scent pleases your nose—without irritating your dog’s.
- Paraben-free, with no artificial dyes
- Formulated with an odor neutralizer and deodorizer for tough pet coat odors
- Maintains essential pet skin oils
- Soap-free and safe with spot-on flea and tick products
Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner
The natural oatmeal shampoo and conditioner formula is also effective against odors.
With tea tree to help eliminate flaking and dandruff and oatmeal to soothe and moisturize, this pet shampoo from TropiClean is a great pick for pups with skin conditions.
The medicated formula soothes and relieves dry, itchy, and inflamed skin without stripping natural oils. The mild fragrance leaves your dog smelling fresh and itch-free.
- Enriched with vitamin E to help soothe and moisturize your dog’s skin and coat
- Paraben-free, with no added dyes
- Works into a rich lather that rinses away quickly and completely
TropiClean Medicated Itch Relief Pet Shampoo
Relieve itching and inflammation with this oatmeal and tea tree oil formula.
Need Dog Grooming?
Does your dog need a fresh trim? A groomer can now come to your house! Rover offers dog grooming in select markets. To learn more, please check out our page here.