The Westminster Dog Show is here, and it’s time to get ready. Around here, that means making popcorn and queueing up one of our favorite dog-friendly movies of all time. Happy 16th birthday to dog show mockumentary Best in Show! To celebrate, we’ve chosen 16 of our favorite quotes, scenes, and fun facts from this tongue-in-cheek classic.
Did we miss your favorite Best in Show quote? Share yours below!
1. The Westminster dog show was the inspiration for the Mayflower dog show.
On February 16th, Miss P will be handing over her Best in Show title to a new champion. Who will it be?
2. The dog actors were all champion show dogs.
Can Ch. Arokat’s Echobar Take Me Dancing – Beatrice the Weimaraner
Can Ch. Urchin’s Bryllo – Winky the Norwich Terrier
Ch. Quiet Creek’s Stand By Me – Hubert the Bloodhound
Can Ch. Rapture’s Classic – Miss Agnes the Shih Tzu
Can Ch. Symarun’s Red Hot Kisses – Tyrone the Shih Tzu
Can Ch. Exxel Dezi Duz It With Pizaz – Rhapsody in White the Standard Poodle
3. The songs.
All written by Eugene Levy
4. Fred Willard‘s bizarre and unscripted dog show commentary.
“I went to one of those obedience places once… it was all going well until they spilled hot candle wax on my private parts.”
Here is Fred recently using his vast knowledge of dogs to help Katie Nolan pick a breed.
5. Busy Bee
“That’s not a bee. That’s a bear in a bee costume!”
6. IRL writer/director Christopher Guest is a Baron.
Which makes Best in Show royally funny!
“Coat of Arms – Baron Haden-Guest, of Saling in the County of Essex” by RS-Nourse – Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Commons.
7. The Shih Tzu calendar shoot.
8. It’s one of Meryl Streep’s favorite movies.
9. “We both love soup.”
10. David Frei, the “Voice of Westminster” since 1990, adores ‘Best in Show.’
“I used to carry Best in Show around with me when I had a disk drive on my computer,” said David Frei, the on-air analyst of the event for the 25th straight year and the WKC’s full-time director of communications since 2003.
“When it first came out, people in the dog show were a little apprehensive about it,” he said. “But they didn’t make fun of the dogs, and they didn’t make fun of the sport. They only made fun of the people. I always say — and no one in the sport could argue this — we are a target-rich environment in that respect.”
– Devid Frei, USA Today
12. I woke up and I was glad.
13. Parker Posey’s IRL dog Gracie is infamous for naughty behavior.
Wow! the evidence is damning: Parker Posey’s Dog is the Devil
14. The family dynamic.
15. Parker Posey got real braces for the role.
16. The eccentric relationships.
Take the quiz to find out which ‘Best in Show’ couple you’d be in!