You just picked up an adorable duo of puppies and wonder if you should get them cool dog tags for identification. Perhaps you’ve been procrastinating because truly cute dog tags are hard to find, or you’re seeking funny dog tags to compliment each pooch’s personality. Make sure you check out our breakdown on why you need them, what the options are, and how dog lovers can make sure their best friend has the best dog tags money can buy.
Microchipped dogs need tags too
3 line engraved dog tag in 29 styles $12.99
A microchip is one of the most important steps to keeping your dog safe in case they get lost. The person who first discovers your loose dog, however, might not have a chip reader on hand. The quickest way someone can contact an anxious owner is by reading a current dog tag on your dog’s collar.
The ASPCA reports that only 33% of pet owners provide unique pet ID tags with appropriate information. The cute bone shape or quirky dog tag font aren’t just for decoration: these credentials may dramatically cut short the time your dog is missing and help return them to loving arms.
What your dog tag needs to say
Of course you need a stylish tag that shows off your dog’s personality and style, but what critical information needs to be engraved on your unique dog ID tag?
- Your dog’s name
- Your cell phone number
- The city you live in
- Second phone number or email address
- Full home address (some opt not to do this for personal security reasons)
- Your name (this ensures if a wrong number is dialed, or someone walks up and says the dog is theirs, it will avoid a hand-off to a wrong person.)
- “I’m Microchipped”
For dogs who travel extensively
Do you travel with your pet? Do you plan to relocate several times in the next few years? An ID storage tube might be the way to go, allowing you to store a little note inside a waterproof tube. This way you can easily update contact info, like hotel name, campsite number, or any other pertinent contact info that may change on the fly.
There may be more important information, but at this point you’re running out of space! Small dog tags in particular just won’t have room for other valuable pieces of information, so consider a few tags tucked safely behind your decorative front:
- Up-to-date vaccination tags
- Dog license
- A tag noting any medical issues your dog may have. In some cases this may have a significant impact on your dog’s health, or save their life if they need special medication
- Microchip info: a small additional tag indicating the dog is chipped may include the company’s name and phone number
Now, I know what you’re thinking. All those little tags clinking together will be annoying. Playing hide-n-seek is ruined. But actually, creativity and innovation has produced dog tag silencers and other products, so if the sound truly aggravates, you have options for peace of mind and peace and quiet.
Test Your Metal
Pet ID tags use a variety of metals for varying reasons of decoration and longevity. Here’s a breakdown of the pros and cons of various types of metal tags:
- Aluminum: Lightweight and offering the widest selection of shapes and sizes, aluminum tags also have the most color options, which helps with contrast when it comes to engraving and readability.
- Brass: You aren’t likely to find as many shape options, but brass dog tags are strong and last longer and are the most traditional. Nothing wrong with old school.
- Stainless Steel: Also limited in shapes and sizes, but these are going to be the most durable of all so wear and tear and replacement will be reduced greatly.
- Non-metallic: Construction will vary and durability may be suspect, but if you’re really out for something different a variety of other options are out there as you’ll see below.
If you go with the decorative options of aluminum or less durable materials, you’ll want to check the tags every couple of months to see if the engraving is being worn down and hard to read.
Now that you’re ready to make new comprehensive ID tags, time to go shopping! There are so many styles, shapes, and sizes out there, you’re sure to find just the right look for your best friend.