Who could say no to the classic flavors of peanut butter and jelly? Not your dog, that’s for sure! These grain-free, sugar-free, and dairy-free peanut butter and jelly dog treats are worth drooling over.
Packed with healthy fiber, protein, and vitamins, these homemade dog treats make a great gift for friends, dog birthday parties, or just because your dog is the cutest.
Homemade Grain-Free Peanut Butter and Jelly Treats for Dogs
Yield 5 dozen Sandwich Cookies
Makes about 5 dozen sandwich cookies
For the Jam
- 2 cups frozen fruit (we used 11 oz strawberries and 5 oz blueberries)
- Juice of one lemon (about 3 Tbsp)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (arrowroot or tapioca is fine too)
- Optional: 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Optional: honey to taste
For the Peanut Butter Cookies
- 4 cups rolled oats pulverized in the food processor (or about 3 cups any other flour)
- 2 tbs ground flaxseed
- 4 tbs warm water
- 1 cup peanut butter (watch out for xylitol, a sweetener poisonous to dogs)
- 1 cup applesauce
Notes: You can substitute 2 eggs in place of the flaxseed and warm water. You can also use store-bought jam, but our unsweetened version is healthier—plus, tastes great on biscuits, oatmeal, or yogurt. Yum.
Start the jam first to give it time to thicken and cool.
- In a sturdy saucepan, place the frozen fruit and the juice of one lemon over medium-low heat.
- As the fruit thaws, mash it down with the back of a spoon.
- Adjust the heat accordingly to maintain a low but steady simmer until the fruit is reduced by half, about 50 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch and whisk until the jam is thickened (about 3 minutes.)
- Add the chia seeds (if using) and place your jam in the fridge to cool and set.
For the Cookies
Preheat oven to 350º and adjust the racks so you can easily manipulate 2 baking trays.
Pulverize flaxseed in a clean coffee grinder. Pop the flax in a small bowl and add warm water, stir, and set aside.
Blitz 4 cups of oats in the food processor until you get a nice flour consistency. Remove the oat flour to a large bowl and set aside.
Place the peanut butter, applesauce, and flaxseed into the bowl of the food processor. Pulse lightly to combine.
Add the flour to the wet mixture by the cupful, pulsing to incorporate.
Turn dough onto a lightly floured board to roll. Divide into two batches if you like.
Roll out your dough, adding flour as necessary. Using your large cookie cutter, cut out your cookies. Use the smaller cookie cutter to cut out a window in half the cookies. These will be your cookie tops.
Place peanut butter dog treats in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, rotating and swapping the trays halfway through. Bake until just golden.
Allow cookies to cool completely before assembling.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @roverdotcom on Instagram and hashtag it #cookingwithrover.
Watch the Jam Cook Up