- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
Cats are naturally curious creatures who need active entertainment to keep them busy and happy. Electronic toys are excellent for kittens and high-energy cats, since they let a cat log some solo play between human-powered wand sessions and laser shows. They can also help older or more sedate felines who need novel toys to keep them engaged and exercising.
On this list, you’ll find a variety of electronic cat toys to entertain and delight all kinds of cat personalities. You’ll find a chasable robotic mouse toy, electronic lasers and wands, and a zippy robo bug that lets your kitten embrace their natural hunting instincts before a well-deserved afternoon nap.
- Best for Kittens: PETLIBRO Interactive Automatic Cat Toy
- Best Kicker Toy: Potaroma Realistic Moving Cat Kicker Fish
- Best Chase Toy: PetDroid Interactive Cat Toy
- Best for Long-Lasting Entertainment: Catit Play Spinning Bee Interactive Cat Toy
- Best Laser Toy: PetSafe Bolt Laser
- Best Budget Toy: Hexbug Nano Robotic Cat Toy
- Best Feathered Toy: SmartyKat Feather Whirl Electronic Motion Wand Cat Toy
- Best Concealed Motion: SmartyKat Hot Pursuit Electronic Concealed Motion Cat Toy
- Best Teaser Toy: PetSafe Peek-A-Bird
- Best Electronic Wand: SmartyKat Loco Motion Electronic Motion Teaser Wand Toy
- Best Light-Up Toy: PetFusion Ambush Interactive Cat Toy
Best for Kittens: PETLIBRO Interactive Automatic Cat Toy (Verified Review)
Give your cat a run for their money with this electronic wheeled mouse toy that lasts for up to 160 minutes per charge. It’s designed to run for four separate ten-minute spurts to give your kitty much-needed exercise, with some wind-down time in between. This mouse is built with an obstacle avoidance sensor, so couches and tables won’t get in the way of a good time.
We especially like it for kittens, since the small size is friendly to little paws, and the entrancing light shows and spins give pet parents a much-needed break. Our testers felt this mouse singlehandedly saved their Christmas trees last year.
- Rechargeable via USB
- Can be used on hard floors, like marble and wood, but not on shag carpet
- Built-in obstacle avoidance sensor
Best Kicker Toy: Potaroma Realistic Moving Cat Kicker Fish (Verified Review)
You’ve probably heard about this rechargeable electronic flopping fish that has gotten a lot of buzz as an excellent cat toy for cats AND dogs due to its enticing wiggling movements. While it’s not a hit with every cat, it’s a cult classic with a huge and dedicated online following. For the reluctant pouncers, a little catnip (included) can go a long way.
It’s nicely sized for bunny kicks and playful chomps, and a quick wash in the machine (cover only) will put it to rights should the dog become involved.
- Easy to charge via USB cable
- Comes with silvervine and catnip powder
- Fish cover is machine washable
Best Chase Toy: PetDroid Interactive Cat Toy (Verified Review)
Indulge your kitty in an interactive game of chase with this robotic cat toy designed with an alluring feather to make it even more enticing. Set it to turn on every hour and a half for ten minutes at a time to keep your cat active throughout the day, even when you’re away. Even better, it works on carpets and hard floors to keep your kitty moving.
Our reviewer declared the makers of this toy wizards and was thrilled to have found a toy that could stand up to super cat Ramona.
- Built-in sensors to prevent it from getting stuck
- Additional accessories available for purchase
Best for Long-Lasting Entertainment: Catit Play Spinning Bee Interactive Cat Toy
This shockingly versatile combination toy spins, shoots out laser beams, and rewards your cat’s swats with well-deserved treats. Cats of all ages can enjoy batting and pawing at the buzzing bee wand, which powers up with the press of a button (human help required).
We like it for food-motivated cats who need extra incentive to get moving.
- Battery operated
- Great to use as a treat reward system
- Promotes physical activity and agility
Best Laser Toy: PetSafe Bolt Laser
Cats love chasing lasers, and with this electronic laser toy, it’s even easier than ever, will little human effort needed. Whether you need to distract your cat during the work day or when you’re out running errands, this electronic laser toy can keep your kitty entertained and encourage their natural hunting instincts.
- Battery operated (4 AA batteries, not included)
- Automatically shuts off after 15 minutes
- Custom and random laser patterns
Best Budget Toy: Hexbug Nano Robotic Cat Toy
Cats are known for being easily entertained with boxes and yarn, and this inexpensive robotic bug is another wallet-friendly toy that can delight a cat for hours. This electronic cat toy mimics the movements of a real-life crawling bug to grab your cat’s attention for a game of chase.
- Includes batteries
- Available in a variety of colors (though unfortunately, at most places, you cannot choose the color you want)
- Can navigate around objects and corners
Best Feathered Toy: SmartyKat Feather Whirl Electronic Motion Wand Cat Toy
This electronic wand toy will keep your kitty entertained with automatic movements designed to keep them guessing. The feather entices a cat to bat, swat, and pounce, while the bottom ball makes the toy swirl and twirl around. It’s a winner for feather-loving cats and wand-toy enthusiasts whose pet parents can’t always be holding the stick.
- Battery operated (AA batteries; not included)
- Requires human hands to turn off and on
- Unpredictable movements promote exercise
Best Concealed Motion: SmartyKat Hot Pursuit Electronic Concealed Motion Cat Toy
Have a cat who loves to pounce on anything moving under a blanket? This electronic cat toy whirls lights and feathers around beneath a cloth to keep your cat chasing and pouncing. The feather toy mimics the movement of prey to let your cat’s inner hunter out safely indoors.
Humans can adjust the speeds to customize the feathered wand’s movements to match their cat’s play style and needs.
- Battery operated
- Turns on and off with a button; does not automatically shut off
- The wand and base are made using recycled plastic
Best Teaser Toy: PetSafe Peek-A-Bird
Who doesn’t love a good game of peek-a-boo? A lot of cats love this simple game, and this odd electronic teaser toy lets them indulge to their heart’s content. The bright feather pops out from either side of the toy at random to keep your cat absorbed.
The only downside? If you have an especially successful predator, the feathers may not last long, and you’ll have to supply your own replacements.
- Battery operated (3 AA batteries; not included)
- Comes with one replacement feather
- Both automatic and motion activated with two play modes
Best Electronic Wand: SmartyKat Loco Motion Electronic Motion Teaser Wand Toy
This popular electronic toy may be a much-needed upgrade if your cat loves wand toys. It’s designed with two different speeds to keep up with your kitten’s play style, and it has a timer pet parents can adjust to automatically turn on and off for up to two hours throughout the day.
- Made using un-dyed feathers and 50% recycled post-consumer plastic
- Encourages mental and physical activity
- Battery-operated (3 AA batteries)
Best Light-Up Toy: PetFusion Ambush Interactive Cat Toy (Verified Review)
This toy is a powerhouse with feathers, lights, bright colors. It’s designed with LED lights that make it possible for your kitty to use both day and night and features anti-skid markers on the bottom so it won’t loudly move around while your cat bats and plays.
We’ve seen pet parents who couldn’t stand all the activity it stirred up, and some who couldn’t have gotten to their chores without it. It’s hit or miss—but its devotees swear by it.
- Comes with a replacement feather
- Battery-operated (4 AA batteries)
- Unfortunately, it does not have a timer to automatically shut off when the pet parent is away
How We Chose
The electronic cat toys featured here were selected based on a combination of our own hands-on testing and a comprehensive look at customer reviews across a wide variety of retail platforms. We prioritized toys with easy-to-replace parts, strong battery life and charge times, and maximum cat appeal. We’re also guided by the experience of living and playing alongside our own much-loved and strongly opinionated felines, who are never stingy with their feedback.