No! Many plants are toxic to pets, so your dog should be carefully monitored outside, and indoor plants should be kept out of reach. Common grasses and weeds are generally harmless. But because there are so many plants that pose significant risks—and can even be fatal—it’s best to keep your dog out of the habit of eating plants.
You should be aware of indoor and outdoor plants that are poisonous to your pet. Here are some of the plants known to be toxic to dogs:
- Flowering plants: Azalea, baby’s breath, bird of paradise, buttercups, carnations, chrysanthemums, daffodils, dahlias, daisies, gardenias, gladiolas, hyacinth, hydrangeas, irises, mums, peonies, primroses, rhododendrons, wisteria
- Fruits and vegetables: avocados, cherries and other fruit with pits, garlic, grapes, onions, rhubarb, sweet peas
- Trees: leaves from red maples and yews; many types of nuts, especially if moldy
- Others: aloe, St. John’s Wort, tobacco
Additionally, spiny and spiky plants can cause severe damage. Dogs should always be kept away from thorny plants and cacti.
See the ASPCA’s list of toxic and non-toxic plants for more information.
If you believe your dog has ingested a dangerous plant, or your is displaying unusual symptoms, contact your vet. They may also be able to advise you about local plants to watch out for.
For More Information
We’ve got tons of articles about which foods are safe or dangerous for your dog, from common snacks to fruits. You might also be interested in “Can My Dog Eat Vegetables?“