Maybe. If your dog has eaten red velvet cake, he’s probably just fine, depending on how much he’s eaten. There’s nothing toxic in red velvet cake, but it is loaded with sugar, which dogs simply don’t need in their diet. Sugar provides zero nutritional benefits. Over time, sugar contributes to weight gain and diabetes. We encourage you to share a healthier treat with your dog instead.
Symptoms to Look For
If your dog has eaten quite a bit of red velvet cake, he may experience shaking (from the sugar overload), vomiting, or diarrhea. But he should stabilize after a few hours. If not, call your vet.
For More Information
We offer a collection of articles on foods that are healthy or dangerous for dogs to eat, covering everything from grains, fruits, and vegetables. You might also be interested in reading “Can My Dog Eat Cake?“
The information provided in this article is not a substitute for professional veterinary help.