No. If your dog has eaten a lone Oreo, she’s probably fine. But Oreos aren’t recommended for dogs. Of course, chocolate is toxic to dogs, but there’s not enough baking chocolate in an Oreo to cause immediate alarm. That said, it’s not wise to feed your dog anything containing even a small amount of a toxic ingredient. Moreover, Oreos contain a lot of sugar, which dogs should avoid. Sugar merely delivers empty calories and can facilitate diabetes and weight gain.
Symptoms to Look For
Again, a single Oreo isn’t likely to cause problems. But if your dog gets into the Oreo box, be sure to call your vet if you notice any of the following symptoms:
- Trembling, shaking, seizures
- Panting and increased heart rate
- Tense stomach or abdominal swelling
- Unsuccessful attempts to vomit or defecate
For More Information
We have tons of articles about which foods are safe or dangerous for your dog, including various cereals, fruits, and snacks. You might also be interested in “Can My Dog Eat Chocolate?”
The information provided in this article is not a substitute for professional veterinary help.