No! Home-brewers should keep hops safely out of a dog’s reach. Symptoms can range from mild to life-threatening, though it’s unclear what gives hops their toxic quality. If your dog has eaten hops, call your vet immediately. Pet deaths have been reported within six hours of ingestion. Several breeds are more susceptible to hops’ most dangerous effect—hyperthermia (elevated body temperature)—including greyhounds, Labrador retrievers, Saint Bernards, pointers, Dobermans, Border collies, English springer spaniels, and northern breeds.
Symptoms to Watch For
- Rapid breathing and/or heart rate
- An increase in body temperature (105°F/40.6°C)
- Abnormal clotting
For More Information
We have tons of articles about which foods are safe or dangerous for your dogs, including everything from vegetables to deserts. You might also be interested in “Can My Dog Drink Beer?”
The information provided in this article is not a substitute for professional veterinary help.