Maybe. If your dog has eaten butterscotch, he’s probably fine, depending on how much he’s eaten. There’s nothing toxic in butterscotch, but the candy is loaded with sugar and preservatives, which dogs simply don’t need in their diet. Sugar provides zero nutritional benefits. Over time, sugar contributes to weight gain and diabetes. We encourage you to share a healthier treat with your dog instead.
Symptoms to Look For
If your dog has eaten quite a bit of butterscotch, he may experience shaking (from the sugar overload), vomiting, diarrhea, and a lethargic crash after the sugar high. But he should stabilize after several hours. If not, call your vet.
For More Information
We offer a collection of articles on foods that are healthy or dangerous for dogs to eat, covering everything from grains, fruits, and vegetables. You might also be interested in reading “Can My Dog Eat Cookies?“
The information provided in this article is not a substitute for professional veterinary help.