- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
Mealtime is a dog’s favorite time of day, but if we’re being honest, sometimes our work and life schedules make it difficult to feed them at their preferred times.
In the past, pet parents might have put out an extra food bowl if they were going to be gone through mealtime. But in some houses, that extra food will be gone as soon you turn your back, and a doggy stomachache will soon follow (not to mention obesity; free-feeding pets is a leading factor among pets who are overweight).
In this day and age, technology can help. Automatic dog food dispensers portion out meals for your pets according to a pre-programmed schedule. This can help with everything from portion control, overeating, and pets who like to wake you up at 4 a.m. for breakfast, to pet siblings who like to steal each other’s food and those with health concerns who require strict oversight at feeding time.
Automatic dog food dispensers are also especially useful for dogs with specific dietary needs who have to eat the same amount of food at the same feeding times each day.
Some automatic feeders are fairly simple, dispensing two meals a day. Others offer more servings and more complex features, such as:
- Sturdy design that can’t be easily tipped over
- Easy programming
- An easy-to-clean hopper (food container) and bowl
- The ability to schedule multiple meals and adjustable portion sizes
With these different needs in mind, we’ve researched the most popular, reliable automatic food dispensers available. Here are our picks for the eight best automatic dog feeders.
Best Simple Programmable Food Dispenser: Petsafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder
Think of this as a “starter” automatic food dispenser. It’s electronic and programmable but doesn’t have any extraneous bells or whistles. Just set it and go. Online reviewers praise the PetSafe Healthy Pet for its reliable function and versatile programming. You can program up to 12 meals per day, in quantities ranging from 1/8 cup to 4 cups.
- Stainless steel bowl is hygienic and easy to clean
- Runs on batteries, so no electric cords to trip over or pose a hazard for chew-curious dogs
- Online reviewers love the slow feed mode that dispenses food slowly to prevent rapid eating
- Programming procedure is tricky; keep the manual on-hand!
- Super-smart pups may be able to nudge the unit and cause extra food to fall out
Best “Smart” Dry Food Dispenser: WOPet SmartFeeder
If you’re looking for something truly futuristic, look no further than this app-connected “smart” feeder with a built-in webcam. The WOPet SmartFeeder can be programmed for up to four meals a day, and online reviewers praise its quick and easy setup (although it helps if you’re already tech-savvy).
- Reviewers love the voice record function, which lets you program a personal message for your dog to hear at mealtime
- Relatively easy to program
- Timed meals help train dogs to eat more slowly, potentially preventing common digestive issues
- Compatible with iPhone and Android phones
- Some reviewers note difficulty maintaining wifi connection
- Unclear if app will continue to update with upcoming smartphone software
Best Automatic Dry/Wet Food Dispenser: PetSafe 5 Meal Pet Feeder for Dogs and Cats
Many of the most popular automatic food dispensers on the market are for kibble only. But if your dog relies on canned or wet food, you need a dispenser that can handle the mush (just keep in mind most canned food is perishable and left unrefridgerated for too long is likely to go bad).
If you’ll only be gone for a short time and must keep up with your pet feedings, the PetSafe 5 Meal automatic pet feeder is a convenient automatic food dispenser that easily handles kibble and canned food. It has five separate compartments to dispense meals, snacks, and/or medications, and reviewers love how easy and reliable it is
- Easy to program
- Attractive, modern appearance
- Food tray is dishwasher safe
- Great for small dogs who need frequent meals (and doubles as a cat feeder)
- Food compartments are a bit small for big eaters, holding only 1 cup each. But you can always schedule two “meals” in a row!
Best Affordable Gravity Feeder: Frisco Gravity Refill Pet Feeder
This one is pretty low-tech. In fact, it’s no-tech, but gravity feeders are an old-school “automatic” option that works.
Simply fill the food hopper and let gravity do its job, pouring food into the attached bowl and refilling as the bowl empties.
Gravity feeders won’t work for dogs who can’t stop eating. But if your dog is a grazer, this throwback “automatic” dog feeder may be for you!
- Simple to use, just fill the storage hopper and go
- Available in small, medium, and large sizes
- Fully analog, so there’s no “off” function. Only appropriate for dogs who graze and won’t overeat.
Best Feeder for Multi-Pet Households: SureFlap Microchip Pet Feeder
If you have more than one pet at home, this SureFlap microchip pet feeder is the solution to ensuring that each of your animals is fed.
To do this, the feeder scans the pet’s microchip or the included RFID collar tag and only opens for that specific pet. This ensures that another dog or cat won’t end up stealing the food.
- Accommodates both wet or dry food
- Although one pet per feeder is recommended, the feeder can work with multiple collar tags
- Small capacity of about 2.5 cups cup of food, so best-suited for smaller dogs
- Hand-wash only
Best Automatic Feeder For Large Dogs: Balimo Automatic Smart Pet Feeder, 7L
Not only does this automatic automatic pet feeder have a large capacity of seven liters (or about 30 cups), it’s also easy to program larger meals for bigger eaters, making it ideal for larger breed dogs.
- Built-in voice recorder notifies your dog for each meal with a personalized voice recording
- Can dispense up to four meals per days
- Two power supply options
- Only compatible with kibble 0.2-0.6 inches in diameter, which will accommodate most large breed kibble, but not all
Best Automatic Feeder For Under $100: Arf Pets Automatic Pet Feeder
You’d be hard-pressed to find an automatic dog feeder that offers as much value as this Arf Pets one at such a reasonable price.
It dispenses from 2-tablespoons to 1-cup of kibble for each meal. This makes it great for managing portion control for each feeding, as you can precisely set the feeder for the exact amount you want on the feeder’s LCD screen.
You can also set a 10-second voice recording that will call your dog to eat. These features, as well as the feeder’s simple and sleek design, make it our top pick for an automatic dog feeder under $100.
- Magnetic lock lid to keep pets out and food fresh
- Runs on either batteries or a power cable
- Easy to clean with a dishwasher-safe tray
- Some reviewers have found that the feeder will dispense a small amount of kibble if jostled or moved around by pet
Best Gravity Dog Feeder and Waterer Combo: AmazonBasics Self-Dispensing Gravity Pet Feeder and Waterer
Since dogs need water as much as they need food, this AmazonBasics self-dispensing gravity pet feeder and waterer is a perfect combination product that will keep your dog well-fed and hydrated.
Like other gravity feeders, you’ll simply need to refill the water and kibble containers, and gravity will keep the bowls at the bottom filled.
Since there’s no timer, the food and water will be on offer 24/7, making this feeder ideal for grazers but not for dogs who are prone to over-eating.
- Holds up to 12 pounds of dry dog food and 2.5 gallons of water
- Non-skid rubber feet keep the feeders from moving around
- Must be hand-washed only
- Water may spill out of the bowl if your dog is a messy drinker
- Like any gadget, an automatic pet feeder has the potential to malfunction. This could leave your dog without any food. And while some more expensive feeders utilize an app to let you know when your dog eats, you may not be immediately aware of a malfunction with a more basic unit. That’s why we don’t recommend that pet owners rely on an automatic feeder for long trips away.
- While many feeders are pet-proof, they’re not insect-proof and could attract bugs or other pests.
- The biggest benefit of an automatic dog food dispenser in the convenience. You only need to refill it every few days. This saves you both time and energy.
- Because they work on timers, automatic pet feeder can feed your dog on your preferred schedule and helps make it easier to maintain a regular feeding schedule. This is especially convenient if your dog is an early riser and likes to eat breakfast while you’re still sleeping. And unlike a person, an automatic feeder will never “forget” to feed your pet.