- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
Does your dog chew through normal Kong toys to get the goodies out? Has she chewed through your walls, chopped down trees with her teeth, or otherwise decimated one of your prized possessions? Plush toys? Please. They don’t stand a chance.
I have two aggressive chewers of my own, and I feel your pain. Sometimes it feels as if no dog toy is strong enough.
But we have some good news for you! Companies do offer durable dog toys designed to take a beating from even the mightiest chew-zilla in your pack.
There are no truly indestructible dog toys, but these items marketed as dog-proof chew toys at least have a fighting chance.
4 tips for pet parents with serious chewers
1. Establish an extra-strength “leave it” command for your extreme chewer. If your dog chews a toy into a sharp point, or has ripped up a toy that may create a choking hazard, you need to be able to take it away immediately.
2. Entice! If your dog seems disinterested in a new toy, you can use a little peanut butter or some other yummy goodness to make it appealing. It may take a few tries for your dog to realize the toy is chew-worthy.
3. Make sure the toy is the right size for your dog. The smaller the toy, the more leverage your dog will have to chew through it.
4. Be careful about leaving your dog unattended with a chew. You know your super-chewer. Perhaps leaving your dog alone with toys just isn’t safe. Supervising the chew session will give you peace of mind.
With all that said, here are our top picks for the best dog-proof chew toys around.
Extreme KONG: The classic snowman-shaped dog toy that you can stuff with peanut butter or treats for extra engagement. This rubber toy is also great for playing fetch because its unique shape leads to unpredictable bounces that keep dogs on their toes.Buy Now on Amazon for $8.48-$17.90
Extreme Rubber Ball: Compatible with the ChuckIt Thrower, this dog ball claims to be the toughest and most durable on the market.Buy Now on Amazon for $16.99
Extreme Goodie Bone: For dogs who like a good ol’ fashioned bone to chew, this toy can be stuffed on either end with treats.Buy Now on Amazon for $11.99-16.99
Extreme Tire: You can fill the whole interior ring of this toy with treats for extended playtime. Pro tip: fill the interior with peanut butter and throw it in the freezer for two hours. Then your dog will really have a puzzle to solve.Buy Now on Amazon for $10.99-$14.99
Designed by mechanical and polymer engineers, these toys are made to withstand some heavy-duty chewing. Does your dog like to swim? No problem—this toy floats. It also features a red inner core that lets you know when it’s time to take the toy away and replace it with a fresh one.
The company guarantees their toys for a year, and will gladly exchange a damaged toy for just the cost of shipping.Buy Now on Amazon for $32.93
Besides being durable, this bone features raised bristles that clean your dog’s teeth while they chew. Designed with aggressive chewers in mind, the chicken flavor makes it extra enticing for your pup.Buy Now on Amazon for $15.99
With a handy pocket in the back for stuffing treats, the Tux is durable, dishwasher-safe, and even floats in water. This toy comes in three bright, easy-to-spot colors (and when it’s ready to be tossed, the company will recycle it for you; here’s how.)Buy Now on Amazon for $15.95-$19.95
For dogs who like to play tug of war, this rope toy is made from durable, natural cotton that massages your dog’s gums while they play! Rope toys are especially great because they encourage interactive play between dogs and their owners.Buy Now on Amazon for $13.99
Ideal for the heaviest of chewers, the Nylabone Dura Chew is touted as a power chew toy made especially for large dogs. This tough toy has an intriguing texture and flavor to pique your dog’s interest. It would also work great for a game of fetch!Buy Now on Amazon for $11.69
Featured image: Dog Shaming