There are times when we wonder if we love our dog a wee bit too much. But then we look into his bright, happy face and realize, “Nope, totally not possible.” Are we codependent on our dogs? Yep, and happily so. How else could we repay all the comfort and unconditional love we receive? And we’re far from alone. Fess up: Are you guilty of any of the following?
1. You ask your dog sitter to hold the phone up to your dog’s ear so you can hear their voice when you’re on vacation.
2. When you come home, you kiss the dog before greeting the human members of your family.
3. At night, you cling to the edge of your bed like a professional mountain climber as to not disturb your peacefully snoozing pooch.
4. You make a healthy, multi-ingredient gourmet meal for your dog while you eat a frozen burrito.
5. You sometimes mistakenly call your significant other by the dog’s name.
6. You’ve turned down invitations to parties to stay home and watch TV with your dog.
7. You decorate your home with rugs and furniture that match (ahem, hide) your dog’s hair.
8. You buy baby wipes in bulk at Costco. So what if you don’t have a baby? What you do have is a dog with a very clean butt.
9. You spend way more than you intended on a new car because you need extra room for your dog and all of your canine accouterments.
10. You can’t fall asleep without the soothing sound of your dog’s snoring.
11. You create a clever and elaborate Halloween costume for your dog. But don’t have time and/or inclination to make or even buy one for yourself.
12. Your Facebook and Instagram feeds are filled with nothing but adorable pictures of your dog.
13. Your friends stop by with gift bags filled with treats and squeaky toys on your dog’s birthday.
14. While sitting in your car on a date, you gently ask, “Would you like some water?” When your date declines, you have to admit that you were actually talking to your dog in the back seat.
15. Your friends talk about their babies, and you reply, “My dog does the exact same thing.”
Are you codependent on your dog? Share your stories in the comments!