Chances are, if a dachshund is the love of your life, these facts are your everyday reality. For everyone else, a wiener dog is just a short little pupper with a hard-to-spell name and a shocking number of inappropriate puns.
For those of you in the second camp, stop snickering and prepare to learn a few things about one of America’s favorite dog breeds.
1. They like to be tall
2. Dachshunds are fearsome hunters originally bred to hunt badgers in their underground lairs
3. Dachshunds love to burrow
Can’t find your doxie? Check your bed, the laundry basket, or even a cozy sleeve!
4. With 15 colors, 6 marking types, 3 coat types, and 3 sizes, doxies have a lot of variety
5. Dachshunds are notorious diggers
6. Weiner dog races are a thing
7. Dachshunds can be stubborn as heck
8. Dachshunds need ramps to keep their backs healthy as they age
9. Dachshunds love to jump!
But be careful of their fragile long backs
10. Dachshunds are the smallest members of the AKC Hound group
11. Doxies. Love. Food.
12. Dachshunds live a long time
Just keep those backs healthy and your doxie can be with you up to 20 years.
Featured image: Dogshaming