- This post contains affiliate links. Read more here.
Grooming your dog isn’t just about cleanliness. It’s also a way to spend quality time with your dog, to keep them healthy, and to make them feel loved.
But if your dog has sensitive skin, finding the right shampoo can be tricky! The last thing you want is to cause itching, hot spots, or other irritation. Fortunately, an increasing number of brands offer gentle dog shampoos for sensitive skin.
We’ve scoured online reviews to find the best-rated, most popular dog shampoos for sensitive skin.
Note: if your dog is extra-sensitive or has allergies, it’s best to consult your vet before introducing new products into your grooming routine.
This all-natural dog shampoo is made with bentonite clay, known for its soothing and healing abilities. It also contains neem and argon oils, making it ultra-gentle and calming on itchy dog skin.
Some reviewers even claim the all-natural herbal formula is good for repelling fleas and ticks (though we recommend using it alongside flea and tick preventatives, especially in the bug-filled summer season).
- Concentrated formula means a little bit goes a long way
- 100% natural and organic formula is earth-friendly and dog-friendly
- Recommended for dogs with sensitive skin
- Reviewers are split on the smell, with some saying it’s unpleasant and others saying they like it. You’ll have to decide for yourself!
This shampoo is great for dogs who are irritated by harsher cleansers. It’s made from all-natural, vegan ingredients to clean and protect your dog’s coat and skin.
In fact, vegan dog owners especially love this shampoo because the company is serious about vegan principles. The nourishing shampoo formula has soothing oatmeal and natural aloe vera that hydrate, heal, and protect your pup’s coat.
- Soapless formula won’t inflame or irritate dogs’ eyes or nose
- All-natural ingredients soothe hot spots and soften the coat
- Reviewers especially like its light, cherry-and-coconut smell
This ultra-gentle, hypoallergenic dog shampoo uses natural ingredients like aloe vera and vitamin E to cleanse and moisturize sensitive skin.
It’s a safe shampoo for dogs with seasonal allergies and hot spots. Reviewers say this shampoo is gentle enough for frequent baths and helps soothe itchy skin.
- “Tearless” formula won’t irritate dogs’ eyes
- Soapless formula works into a lather
- Will not affect topical flea and tick products
John Paul Pet products were created by the co-founder and CEO of the PAUL MITCHELL brand for humans, and their pet shampoos use the same all-natural botanical extracts as their human shampoos.
In fact, their pet products are tested on humans first, but they’re pH balanced for pets.
That means they’re ultra-safe and high-quality. This Australian tea tree and eucalyptus oil pet shampoo is formulated to cleanse, soothe, and moisturize, reducing skin irritations and helping to heal.
- Tea tree leaf oil and eucalyptus are natural antiseptics, helping to soothe and prevent irritation
- Almond oil and chamomile soothe irritation, and aloe vera replenishes moisture
- Reviewers love the gentle botanical scent
Why might you choose a shampoo bar instead of a shampoo bottle? For one thing, bar shampoo makes it easy to reach every spot on your dog: just use the bar to create a thick lather all over.
This shampoo bar for dogs with sensitive skin is made with naturally-healing bentonite clay. With neem oil to treat skin irritation, and shea butter and coconut oil to moisturize, your pup will be left with clean fur and calm skin. Plus, they’ll smell nice, too!
- In addition to being dog-safe, this shampoo is earth-friendly and cruelty-free
- Formula is safe for lakes and streams, so you can safely bathe your dog outside
- Made in small batches in the USA
This ultra-gentle shampoo is marketed as a puppy shampoo, but it’s great for sensitive dogs of any age. It’s like the baby shampoo of dog cleansers! It has rosemary extract to protect skin, and aloe vera and chamomile to soothe and moisturize.
All those herbal ingredients make for a delicate scent that will please you without irritating your dog. Fans of this shampoo say it lathers up nicely and is safe for even the most sensitive dogs.
- Tear-free, calming formula is safe for puppies and senior dogs
- Contains rosemary to stimulate follicle growth, great for pups with patchy coats
- Contains no alcohol or parabens
This shampoo for dogs with sensitive skin is pH balanced and free from soap and parabens. That means it’s gentle on your dog’s coat and skin and will leave them clean without irritation. Underwater Dogs also makes a conditioner for extra moisturizing.
- Deodorizing vanilla coconut scent is pleasing to humans and non-irritating to dogs
- Naturally moisturizing formula helps condition dry and itchy skin
- Soap-free and pH balanced to soften and shine your pup’s coat without irritation
Who says dog shampoo has to come in a bottle? This bar shampoo is made with 100% natural ingredients like neem and manuka oils for moisturization, and tea tree essential oil for healing and soothing.
It’s specifically formulated for dry, itchy, or sensitive skin. Each bar is equivalent to 20 ounces of liquid shampoo, making it a great value. Plus, the bar shape and plastic-free packaging is extra earth-friendly.
- Bar soap application makes it easy to apply to the underside of your dog
- Naturally “anti-itch” formula is suitable for use on dogs with skin conditions
- Reviewers love the gentle scent
Virbac creates veterinarian-strength shampoos to treat a variety of skin types. This formula has oatmeal to soothe irritated skin. In fact, many online reviewers say their vet recommended it to them.
You may be able to find it at your vet’s office, but it tends to be cheaper online!
- “Slow-release” formula means it keeps soothing your dog’s coat even after the shampoo is rinsed off
- Contains oatmeal for soothing and cleansing dry, itchy skin
- Emollient formula softens the coat and moisturizes skin
This gentle, hypoallergenic shampoo is great for sensitive, dry skin and coats.
Colloidal oatmeal and aloe vera are veterinarian-recommended ingredients used to treat skin irritation and promote healing. And this luxurious, scent-free formula leaves your dog clean and soft, but not perfumed.
- Safe for all animals over six weeks old
- All-natural, soap-free, and pH-balanced
- Cleansing and deodorizing dog shampoo will not wash off topical flea treatments
Frequent water bathing can be hard on sensitive dog skin, but dry shampoo is here to help!
Whal’s no-rinse waterless shampoo is chemical-free and has natural plant-based cleansers. Just brush it through your pet’s coat and let the gentle lavender chamomile fragrance soothe you and your pup.
- Alcohol-free and paraben-free
- Plant-based cleansers are safe and gentle
- Like a shampoo and dog conditioner in one, with guar conditioner that moisturizes pet hair by sealing in natural sugars and proteins
DERMagic specializes in all-natural grooming products for pets with sensitive skin. The Skin Rescue bar soothes dog skin with a blend of diatomaceous earth (fancy clay) and essential oils. With naturally antifungal, antibacterial ingredients like tea tree and peppermint oil, this bar shampoo calms skin and gently cleanses. It’s totally free from toxins, preservatives, chemicals, sulfates, and irritants. And reviewers love the smell!
- Naturally deodorizing to keep your pooch smelling fresh
- Solid formula is easy to store and take on the go
- DERMagic makes several other formulas to treat all manner of skin conditions and coat types
Made from human-grade, natural ingredients, this hypoallergenic pet wash is totally organic. It contains a holistic essential oil blend to gently cleanse your dog without stripping the natural oils from their coat.
It’s also biodegradable, cruelty-free, vegan, and eco-friendly. In fact, you could use this pet shampoo on your own hair…but it’s tailor-made for your dog.
- Aloe and lemongrass formula naturally soothes sensitive skin and deters fleas
- Detergent-free, paraben-free, sulfate-free, and non-toxic
- Concentrated formula is easy to lather and rinse
This natural dog shampoo has a gentle formula containing, you guessed it, oatmeal and aloe vera to help soothe, moisturize, condition and calm sensitive skin.
It’s safe to use on puppies and adult dogs, and gently conditions and detangles as it cleanses. Best of all, it contains no alcohol or animal by-products and is paraben and cruelty-free.
- No added colors or dyes
- Moisture-rich shea butter helps condition and shine up dogs’ coats
- Easy-pour system makes it easy to dispense a little at a time, and a little goes a long way
- Clean-rinsing so your pooch won’t have any residue hanging around
This moisturizing, deodorizing dog shampoo ticks all the boxes for dogs with sensitive skin: it’s vitamin-enriched, alcohol-free, and has baking soda to deodorize stinky coats and treat dandruff and dander.
The plant-based formula also has coconut for moisture, vitamins A, D & E for nutrients, and fruit extracts to cool and calm inflamed skin.
- Specifically formulated for sensitive dog skin
- Totally non-toxic, with no parabens or alcohol
- Light apple scent neutralizes odors
Burt’s Bees Natural Pet Care products are made with the same care and quality ingredients as their human products. Their hypoallergenic shampoo for dogs is made with shea butter and honey for extra moisture and shine.
It naturally and gently cleanses, and with no artificial fragrances, it leaves your pooch smelling clean but not perfumed.
- Light lather might not get foamy, but rest assured, it’s gently cleansing your dog’s coat
- Mild and pH balanced, so it’s suitable for all dogs from puppy to senior
- Free from fragrances, sulfates, colorants, and harsh chemicals
This ultra-premium doggy shampoo has “colloidal oatmeal,” or oatmeal that has been ground up and mixed with water, making it more easily spread and absorbed into skin.
Remember taking oatmeal baths when you had chickenpox as a kid? This lavender oatmeal pet shampoo has similarly soothing qualities, cleansing your dog with a gentle, mild lather that calms sensitive skin.
- Designed to be hypoallergenic and extremely soothing for your dog’s flaky, dry skin
- Lavender essential oil is calming and comforting
- Pure, high-quality ingredients fare dog safe and earth-friendly
Nature’s Miracle is perhaps best known for its line of deodorizing cleaners used to get rid of pet pee smells. Turns out, their dog shampoo is equally good at removing odors from sensitive dog coats using natural and pet-safe ingredients. This 4-in-1 combination dog shampoo and conditioner neutralizes odors, deodorizes, freshens, and cleans your dog’s skin and coat. The oatmeal formula soothes and hydrates skin, while the light honey sage scent pleases your nose without irritating your dog’s.
- Paraben-free, with no artificial dyes
- Formulated with an odor neutralizer & deodorizer for tough pet coat odors
- Maintains essential pet skin oils
- Soap-free and safe with spot-on flea & tick products
Does your dog have sensitive skin that gets itchy during the summer? This Friends Forever anti-itch pet shampoo is perfect for pups who scratch all summer long. Formulated with organic coconut-based “soap lotion,” it provides relief from hot spots and allergic reactions.
The deodorizing scent contains chamomile extract and green apple for extra soothing properties. And best of all, it’s hypoallergenic, with anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties to help your dog’s sensitive skin calm down.
- Antifungal formula helps protect and soothe itching from allergies, irritants, and yeast
- Non-irritating, dandruff-free dog shampoo is gentle on paws and noses
- It’s cat-friendly, too, though whether or not you give your cat a bath is up to you!
With tea tree to help eliminate flaking and dandruff and oatmeal to soothe and moisturize, this pet shampoo from TropiClean is a great pick for pups with skin conditions.
The medicated formula soothes and relieves dry, itchy, and inflamed skin without stripping natural oils. The mild fragrance leaves your dog smelling fresh and itchy-free.
- Enriched with Vitamin E to help soothe and moisturize your dog’s skin and coat
- Paraben-free, with no added dyes
- Works into a rich lather that rinses away quickly and completely
- The 7 Best Dog Shampoos for Skin Allergies
- 5 Stages of Bathing Your Dog
- Dog Showers in Your House: You Just Might Need One
Does your dog need a fresh trim? A groomer can now come to your house!