Last Updated: April 6, 2018
[Previous versions: January 25, 2018; December 1, 2017; March 28, 2014; April 20, 2012; November 14th, 2011; July 21, 2011]
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you create an account, post or reserve a listing, make a payment, write a review, communicate with other users through our Services or participate in any other interactive features of the Services. We also collect information when you participate in a contest, promotion or survey, apply for a job, communicate with us via third party social media sites, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include basic user information (such as your name, email address, postal address, phone number, photos, gender, and date of birth); pet information (such as breed, age, photos, veterinarian, and immunization status); tax information (including social security number and income information for sitters) and any other information you choose to provide (including the content of any communications you send and receive through the Services).
We may also collect and store limited payment information from you, such as payment card type, expiration date and a portion of your payment card number; however, we do not store or have access to full payment card numbers as all transactions are processed by our third-party payment processors.
In some cases, we may also collect information you provide about others, such as when you send an email to one of your personal contacts using our Services. In such case, we will use this information solely to fulfill your request, and not to otherwise send promotional communications to those contacts.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Services
When you access or use our Services, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log Information: We collect log information about your use of the Services, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers and mobile network information.
- Location Information: We may collect information about the location of your device each time you access or use certain features of our mobile applications or otherwise consent to the collection of this information. For more details, please see “Your Choices” below.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We use various technologies to collect information, including cookies and web beacons. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our Services and your experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular and count visits. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits and understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see “Your Choices” below.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Services. For example, we may collect information about you from third parties, including but not limited to mailing list providers, agencies that conduct background checks and publicly available sources. Additionally, if you create or log into your account through a social media site, we will have access to certain information from that site, such as your name, account information and friends lists, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by such social media site.
Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes as described in this Policy or disclosed to you in connection with our Services, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our Services;
- Facilitate and process transactions and send you related information, including booking and payment confirmations and tax documentation (where required);
- Enable communications between you and other users of the Services;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Enable the mediation of disputes between users of the Services;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, rewards, and events offered by Rover and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services;
- Detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of Rover and others;
- Personalize and improve the Services and provide advertisements, content or features that match user profiles or interests;
- Facilitate contests, sweepstakes and promotions and process and deliver entries and rewards;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information is collected.
Sharing of Information
- When you make or accept a booking, certain information is shared between the pet owner and pet sitter, including names, the pet owner’saddress, pet information and any other information you choose to share through the Services;
- When you sign up for and participate in the interactive areas of our Services (such as when you create a user profile or write a review), certain information about you may be displayed publicly, such as your name, photo and location;
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation or legal process;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of Rover or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, or other transaction or proceeding involving sale, transfer or divestiture of all or a portion of our business or assets to another company;
- Between and among Rover and our current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and other companies under common control and ownership; and
- With your consent or at your direction.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information.
Social Sharing Features
The Services may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button), which let you share actions you take on our Services with other media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
Rover takes reasonable measures designed to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
Transfer of Information to the U.S. and Other Countries
Rover is based in the United States and the information we collect may be stored and processed in your region, in the United States, or in any other country where we or our affiliates, subsidiaries, or service providers maintain facilities. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer and storage of information in and to the U.S. and other countries, where you may not have the same rights and protections as you do under local law.
You may request to update, correct or delete information about you at any time by logging into your online account, calling us at 888-453-7889 or visiting our Help Center https://support.rover.com/hc/en-us/ and reviewing relevant questions regarding editing your profile. We may, however, decline requests that are unreasonable, prohibited by law, or are not required to be honored by applicable law. If you wish to deactivate your account, please call us at 888-453-7889, but note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
When you first install or launch any of our mobile applications that collect location information, you will be asked to consent to the application’s collection of this information. We require location information to use certain features of our Services, so if you do not consent to this collection, you cannot use those features. If you initially consent to our collection of location information, you can subsequently stop the collection of this information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device. If you do so, certain features of our mobile applications will no longer function. You may also stop our collection of location information by following the standard uninstall process to remove all of our mobile applications from your device.
Cookies and Browser Settings
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from Rover by following the instructions in those emails. If you opt out, we may still send you Service-related emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
Mobile Push Notifications/Alerts
With your consent, we may send push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
If you are a Service Provider, however, certain Rover Services may require that you accept mobile app push notifications or alerts. If you do not want to receive these push notifications or alerts, then, in addition to adjusting the notifications in your mobile device, you must withdraw from providing such Services as set forth in Section 8.1 of the Rover Terms of Service (or as communicated to you elsewhere via the Rover Service).
With your consent, we may send marketing and/or service-related text messages to your mobile device. You may opt out of receiving some or all of these messages by updating your “Notifications” preferences under “Account Settings” in your online Rover profile (these settings are not available in-app). If you are a Service Provider, however, certain pet care services or features may require you to receive service-related messages by text. If you do not want to receive these service-related text messages, then, in addition to adjusting your Notifications preferences, you must withdraw from providing such services or using such features, as set forth in Section 8.1 of the Rover Terms of Service (or as notified to you elsewhere via the Rover Service).