Yelp is a local business directory that allows their user community to provide reviews of their experiences with local businesses. It’s very similar to Rover’s reviews! Yelp users can search for phrases like “dog boarding” or “pet sitting” and Yelp will show information about local businesses and their ratings.
You can set up a free business account and post photos, a link to your Rover profile, and other details about your pet-sitting business. Our current users on Yelp get 2-4 booking requests a month from it.
(Scroll down for written instructions)
Creating a Business Page
1. Go to Yelp’s Add Your Business page.
2. Under “business name” create your business name. We suggest something similar to your Rover tagline.
3. For privacy purposes, do not enter your full address. Just enter your city, state, and ZIP Code.
4. Enter your phone number. This is for verification purposes while claiming your business and we will show you how to delete it later.
5. **Very Important** The majority of Yelp users click on a company’s web page to find out more info. Under “web address” copy and paste your Rover custom URL from your Rover Profile Dashboard.
6. We suggest making your hours 9 am to 9 pm. You can set your hours to whatever you prefer.
7. Under categories, choose “pets.” Then, select “pet services.” After that, select “pet boarding/pet sitting.” Click “Add another category,” click “pets,” and then “pet services.” Then, select “dog walkers.”
8. Enter your email address.
9. Click “Add.”
10. Check your email, you should receive a verification email from Yelp titled “Confirm Your Email Address.” Click on the link inside of the email to verify your email address.
Wait to receive your Business Account email from Yelp
Next, you need to wait until you receive an email from them saying “Your Yelp Business Account Can Now Be Unlocked.” You will typically receive this email within 24-48 hours. Once you have received the email, click the link inside to claim your business page. This will bring you to a Yelp page that says “Unlock Free Tools to Grow Your Business.”
Claiming Your Business Page
1. Click on the button that says “Claim My Business.” Next, you will create an account as a business owner.
2. Enter your first and last name.
3. Enter your email address.
4. Choose a password.
5. Click continue.
Next, you will need to verify your phone number. Click the “Call Me Now” button to receive the verification phone call. When you receive the call, enter the code number that is displayed on your computer screen using your phone’s number pad.
This will bring you to a Yelp page that says “Congratulations, you have claimed your business page.” Click “Go to your Yelp for Business Owners Dashboard.”
Adding Your Business Information
On the left side, under “Your Business,” click on “Business Information.”
Basic Business Information
1. Next to “Basic Business Information” click on “Edit.”
2. Keep the address line 1 and 2 boxes blank.
3. Delete your phone number.
4. Make sure your website address is your short URL for your Rover profile.
5. Make sure Pet Boarding/Pet Sitting and Dog Walkers are listed under categories.
6. Click “Publish.”
Next to “Service Area,” click on “Edit.” Make sure your city and state or ZIP Code are displayed. Click “Save and Publish.”
Below “Hours,” make sure it displays as Monday through Sunday, 6 am to 6 am. If not, click on “Edit” and adjust your hours so every individual day of the week is 6 am to 6 am. Then, click on “Publish.”
1. Next to “Business Specialties,” click on “Add Specialties.”
2. Enter the main description of your business. Write about the services you offer and the prices you charge. Make sure you include a few keywords like dog boarding or dog sitting. 3. Include your custom promo code and explain that new Rover users can get $20 off their first stay by using it.
4. Click “Publish.”
1. Next to “History,” click on “Add History.”
2. Under “In what year was this business established?” type in the year you started pet sitting.
3. Under “What’s the history of this business?” describe your history with pet sitting, even if it’s just been for friends & family. If you grew up with pets, you can talk about that experience. Write about what inspired you to become a Rover pet sitter. Again, Include a few key phrases in your writing like “dog boarding” or “pet sitter.”
4. When you’re done, click “Publish.”
1. Next to “Meet the Business Owner” click “Add Bio”
2. Under “What is the name of the the person in the bio?” type in your first name and last initial.
3. Next to “What is their role at this business?” click on the drop down menu and select “Business Owner.”
4. Write a personal bio. This can include any information you want to share that you did not write about in Specialties or History. You can write about your current pets, your education, your home, even your hobbies. Filling out this section helps dog owners see that you are friendly, trustworthy, and someone they can relate to.
5. Under “Bio photo,” upload a picture of yourself.
6. Click “Publish.”
1. Under “Your Business,” click “Photos.”
2. Upload photos from your Rover profile, previous stays, or other images of your home, yourself, and your pets.
Yelp users can start using the page to review your pet sitting services. However, please keep in mind that Yelp will only display reviews from users who have previously written reviews on Yelp. If you have friends, family members, or previous clients who actively use Yelp to review local businesses, you can let them know that you have a Yelp listing too.
Now email Yelp@Rover.com so we can help you optimize your profile.
Trademarks used in this article do not imply any affiliation with Rover.com or endorsements of Rover.com by those companies.