Dogs love frozen treats when the temperature rises, and this doggy ice cream is as healthy as can be. ‘Healthy’ and ‘ice cream’ in the same sentence? You read that correctly. This two-ingredient recipe uses just cantaloupe and yoghurt, but you can substitute any melon and any milk-type product your dog likes.Print
Dog-Friendly Cantaloupe Ice Cream
- Prep Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 28 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 28 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Summer Sweets
- 2 cups (300g) frozen ripe cantaloupe
- 2 tbsp unsweetened yogurt
- Food processor or blender
- Make sure you have space for your cantaloupe in the freezer.
- Scrub the outside of the cantaloupe thoroughly.
- Slice the melon in half and remove seeds.
- Slice each half into quarters and remove skin, then dice the fruit into bite-sized chunks.
- Place cut melon in the freezer. The more space around your melon chunks, the faster they will freeze, so if you’re in a rush, place pieces on a baking sheet to speed things up.
- When completely frozen (2-4 hours or overnight), place about 2 cups (300g) of melon pieces into the food processor.
- Add 2 tablespoons of unsweetened yogurt.
- Blend until combined, adding a little cool water if needed to blend to your preferred consistency.
Serving suggestions: top your dog’s kibble with a few tablespoons, serve as part of dinner (replacing some of the usual food), or freeze into paw-shaped pops for the ultimate in homemade frozen dog treat goodness. We love these super-affordable dog-safe silicone molds.
If your dog is lactose intolerant, you can skip the yogurt, though it does change the consistency. A little peanut butter can work instead.
Bea says ice cream is very delicious.
This recipe tastes great to humans, too! Take it to the next level with a drizzle of honey and a sprig of mint.
Remember it’s important to feed your dog treats in moderation—don’t overdo it! And if you ever need someone else to spoil your dog when you can’t be there, check out Rover.com to find local sitters who offer dog boarding along with dog cuddles and treats.