0

How should I make my dog throw up?

asked 2017-03-14 18:50:06 -0500

I think my dog ate some chocolate and I want to know the best way to quickly and safely induce vomiting. What should I give him??

edit edit tags flag offensive close merge delete

5 Answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
2
answered 2017-03-14 23:44:01 -0500

Do not induce vomiting without speaking to a vet first or calling ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center (888-426-4435), or the Pet Poison Helpline (855-213-6680). Get professional advice immediately, and don't panic. Eating a bit of chocolate is not necessarily a death sentence. It depends on the size of the dog, the amount of chocolate (or whatever noxious substance), and their sensitivity to the substance. I've heard plenty of stories of tiny dogs getting into big piles of chocolate and being totally fine.

This resource from PetMd looks great - http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvette...

edit flag offensive delete link more
0
answered 2017-03-15 14:22:13 -0500

By now, I hope your dog is well. For what it's worth, shortly after my dog joined our family, he ate some chocolate, which we caught him polishing off. We rushed him (as it's best to do it within a short time frame after consumption) to an after hours vet, who induced vomiting and then also gave him something to stop that action. Although I know other dogs that have lived through eating large amounts of chocolate and other such stuff, the peace of mind that our dog would be okay was worth the expense.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Comments

I think Pieter is another Rover person asking repetitive and random questions. Otherwise, he has the sickest dog on the planet.

Karen R.'s profile image Karen R.  ( 2017-03-15 16:30:09 -0500 ) edit
0
answered 2017-03-15 14:16:35 -0500

As a vet tech I will ask you to PLEASE take your dog to a vet for proper treatment. Hydrogen peroxide is an older method that is not used anymore because your dog can aspirate (get liquid into his lungs) on the hydrogen peroxide. The vet will also be able to help you figure out if inducing vomiting is necessary in your situation.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Comments

This happened Nov 1, 2016, and hydrogen peroxide was what the ASPCA's Poison Control Hotline advised for the $65 charge. My vet told me to call them, rather than bring in the dog.

Karen R.'s profile image Karen R.  ( 2017-03-15 16:22:16 -0500 ) edit
0
answered 2017-03-15 06:35:42 -0500

As an owner you should not try to induce vomiting, take your dog to the vet for proper evaluation and treatment

edit flag offensive delete link more
0
answered 2017-03-15 11:48:35 -0500

I have some experience with this since my dog ate some raisins he found on the sidewalk courtesy of inconsiderate Halloween trick or treaters. The first thing I did was call my vet, who told me to call the ASPCA Poison Control Hotline. After agreeing to pay $65 for its advice, the person told me to try to induce vomiting using hydrogen perioxide, the amount dependent on the dog's weight. Unfortunately it did not work on my dog. He never vomited. However, I know someone else whose new puppy found some rat poison behind a basement mechanical device (they had only recently moved into this house and didn't put the rat poison there themselves) and were told to use the hydrogen peroxide method and it did work. Since it didn't work on my dog, the Hotline person told me to take my dog to an emergency care facility, where he would get a shot that would guarantee he vomited, which he did. Moreover, my dog stayed at the emergency care facility for 48 hours having his system flushed with fluids, which is considered the most aggressive treatment, and having his kidney functions tested at regular intervals.

I chose the most aggressive treatment option to be safe, but what Jean D wrote above is quite true. Small amounts of many of these "dangerous" substances may not harm your dog. At the emergency care facility, they stated that some dogs can eat grapes or raisins and, in others, they can cause kidney failure.

Inducing vomiting, under a professional's instructions, is fine when time is of the essence. Then, following up is essential.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account. This space is reserved only for answers. If you would like to engage in a discussion, please instead post a comment under the question or an answer that you would like to discuss

Add Answer