0

my dog ate chocolate, what should I do?

asked 2015-12-03 13:05:06 -0500

What should I do?

edit edit tags flag offensive close merge delete

Comments

Call your vet immediately. Chocolate even in small amounts are toxic to dogs

Kathleen D.'s profile image Kathleen D.  ( 2015-12-03 13:09:43 -0500 ) edit

5 Answers

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted
0
answered 2017-02-23 16:30:22 -0500

The most important thing to consider when a pup eats chocolate is: how much and what kind. Dark chocolate (especially baking chocolate) is incredibly toxic and if your pet ingested this type of chocolate I would take him/her to the vet immediately. Dark chocolate is less toxic, but again if a very large quantity is ingested I would be concerned. Also, be mindful of other ingredients that may also be in the chocolate that are toxic- such as xylitol (fake sugar), macadamia nuts, or raisins. If xylitol was ingested, the pet needs to be rushed to the emergency room. Vomiting can be induced with hydrogen peroxide if the chocolate was ingested in the past ~30 minutes. The best thing to do would always be to take to a local veterinarian for advise.

edit flag offensive delete link more
0
answered 2017-02-23 16:49:43 -0500

Call your veterinarian immediately! If you are unable to get there, hydrogen peroxide can be used to get them to vomit, but that can be extremely harsh on their GI tract. Either way, get them to a vet!

edit flag offensive delete link more
0
answered 2017-02-23 16:22:08 -0500

A good reference: http://www.akc.org/content/health/articles/what-to-do-if-your-dog-ate-chocolate/ (http://www.akc.org/content/health/art...)

Marie S., M.S.Ed

edit flag offensive delete link more
0
answered 2015-12-03 13:11:41 -0500

Take into consideration how much chocolate, and if you think it's a significant amount or you see signs of illness, call a vet, call rover support, AND either safely induce vomiting, if it just happened and you think any amount could still be in the stomach. If it's already past the stomach, try administering activated charcoal.

edit flag offensive delete link more
0
answered 2017-02-23 16:28:03 -0500

If your dog has taken a significant amount of chocolate you should call a vet right away. But if your dog has not eaten a huge amount. I suggest watching them for any horrendous signs and then call a vet if anything gets worst.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account. This space is reserved only for answers. If you would like to engage in a discussion, please instead post a comment under the question or an answer that you would like to discuss

Add Answer