0

Is it bad if my dog bit but did not swallow gum?

asked 2019-03-02 04:08:50 -0500

He just gave it a bite and I took it out of his mouth before he could swallow.

edit edit tags flag offensive close merge delete

Comments

You did good Job, Dog is ok if he did not swallow.

Sami U.'s profile imageSami U. ( 2019-03-04 14:46:19 -0500 )edit

4 Answers

1
answered 2019-03-04 16:04:08 -0500

As far as him biting 1 piece of gum... Well, It Depends, on what kind of Gum it was? and How many pounds is your dog? Giving your dog chewing gum is never a good idea. Chewing gum contains a sugar alcohol called Xylitol which is extremely toxic to pets. Xylitol is found in majority of your chewing gums but is most toxic in Sugar-free gums. Sugar-free gums are almost 70% Xylitol, which can kill your dog if not treated right away.

Symptoms of Xylitol poisoning develop rapidly, usually within 15-30 minutes of consumption

Even one piece of unchewed gum with Xylitol is a potentially toxic amount for a 10-pound dog.

It would be best to keep all gum and products which contain Xylitol out of reach of your dogs or just not even in the house all together.

edit flag offensive delete link more
0
answered 2019-04-01 11:07:11 -0500

Gum is almost impossible for the body to break down, so it must pass all the way through your dog's system if swallowed. If your dog eats a lot of gum, it can cause a blockage within her intestines, keeping other food from passing. This is particularly likely if she also consumes the gum's wrapper(s) or packaging.

edit flag offensive delete link more
0
answered 2019-03-04 23:16:53 -0500

About 3 grams of xylitol—or around ten pieces of sugarless gum—can kill a dog as big as 65 pounds. Seven pieces can be harmful to a 45 pound dog, while smaller dogs only need to consume as little as two pieces of gum before the dosage starts doing some serious damage, such as liver failure.

Less than 0.1 gram of the chemical is enough to give dogs a dramatic surge of insulin when they consume it. Trident contains 0.17g per stick, though others can be up to 1g. Once ingested, it causes the dog's blood sugar levels to drop to such depths that they risk brain damage, a coma, liver failure, and death.

edit flag offensive delete link more
-1
answered 2019-03-03 22:05:04 -0500

No, he should be fine

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer

[hide preview]